Author Topic: Care and feeding of Wooden Peels  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Care and feeding of Wooden Peels
« on: July 17, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »
I have two wooden peels which I have lightly sanded with a fine sandpaper to provide a smooth, low friction surface.  Iíve rubbed the surfaces with flour, driving the flour into the remaining pores, as described elsewhere on this site.  They work great.  All but the wettest skins just glide right off.  What I donít know is how to maintain the peels from this point forward.   I assume Iíll need to reflour the surface periodically, but in between, is just a simple dusting off sufficient? 

Iím totally comfortable with rinsing, wiping and re-oiling a wok and wiping a pizza stone clean, so just wiping off the peel seems ok to me.  Unfortunately peels donít get hot and they are porous wood, usually a combination associated with the growth of bacteria in wood not associated with frequent cleaning.

How do you care for your wooden peels?

TIA,

Jack

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Care and feeding of Wooden Peels
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:17:36 PM »
I have two wooden peels which I have lightly sanded with a fine sandpaper to provide a smooth, low friction surface.† Iíve rubbed the surfaces with flour, driving the flour into the remaining pores, as described elsewhere on this site.† They work great.† All but the wettest skins just glide right off.† What I donít know is how to maintain the peels from this point forward.† †I assume Iíll need to reflour the surface periodically, but in between, is just a simple dusting off sufficient?

I always buff it lightly with flour then brush off the excess before putting it away. I've been using the same peel for about 10 years and haven't had to re-treat it.

Iím totally comfortable with rinsing, wiping and re-oiling a wok and wiping a pizza stone clean, so just wiping off the peel seems ok to me.† Unfortunately peels donít get hot and they are porous wood, usually a combination associated with the growth of bacteria in wood not associated with frequent cleaning.

Bacteria growth shouldn't be a problem unless your peel is somehow getting wet. (I suppose, though, that if you live in an area where the humidity is high enough, bacteria growth could be an issue.) Even with high hydration dough (60-63%), my peel never absorbs enough moisture to be a problem. The only time my peel has gotten wet was when I accidentally spilled my beer on it.†>:(

I suppose if you're worried about it, you could expose the surface to high heat occasionally by holding your peel a few of inches under the broiling element of your oven for 15-20 seconds.

Offline Jack

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »
Thanks!  Just flour has been working for the month or so I've been using the peels.  I'll stick with that.

I don't feel the need to heat the peel.  It was more of a minor concern and a curiousity. 

Jack

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 08:40:05 AM »
(

I suppose if you're worried about it, you could expose the surface to high heat occasionally by holding your peel a few of inches under the broiling element of your oven for 15-20 seconds.

If you're baking on a hot stone, that should kill any nasties on the pizza anyway.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:53:04 PM »
Quick question, I bought a used peel from a restaurant supply store. It was only 5 bucks and in pretty good shape. It does has dust and flour on it (flour from previous use and dust from sitting on the shelf), is it safe for the peel itself to wash with soap and water? After drying I would assume id need to rub some flour on it to keep it smooth..

Any ideas?

Offline Jack

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »
Washing it may raise the grain of the wood.  If this happens, just sand it down until it's very smooth, using a fine grit sandpaper on a sanding block.

Is the washing necessary?  I don't know.  Some will argue that it's a nicely seasoned peel and that washing it will change that.  Since it's a used peel, you may want to clean it up, so you feel better about using it. 

Jack

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:19:32 PM »
Quick question, I bought a used peel from a restaurant supply store. It was only 5 bucks and in pretty good shape. It does has dust and flour on it (flour from previous use and dust from sitting on the shelf), is it safe for the peel itself to wash with soap and water? After drying I would assume id need to rub some flour on it to keep it smooth..

I would recommend scraping it with a bench knife and lightly sanding with fine grit sandpaper rather than washing, but if you DO decide to wash it, DO NOT use soap because, not only will the soap soak into the wood, it could weaken or dissolve the glue that holds the peel together.

Offline dao

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 03:35:33 PM »
I have two wooden peels which I have lightly sanded with a fine sandpaper to provide a smooth, low friction surface.  Iíve rubbed the surfaces with flour, driving the flour into the remaining pores, as described elsewhere on this site.  They work great.  All but the wettest skins just glide right off.  What I donít know is how to maintain the peels from this point forward.   I assume Iíll need to reflour the surface periodically, but in between, is just a simple dusting off sufficient? 

Iím totally comfortable with rinsing, wiping and re-oiling a wok and wiping a pizza stone clean, so just wiping off the peel seems ok to me.  Unfortunately peels donít get hot and they are porous wood, usually a combination associated with the growth of bacteria in wood not associated with frequent cleaning.

TIA,

J
Jack

Jack,

In your post you said that you've followed instructions for flouring your peel as mentioned elsewhere on this site.  Do you recall what post you are referring to? 

Thanks,

dao

Offline Jack

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »

Jack,

In your post you said that you've followed instructions for flouring your peel as mentioned elsewhere on this site.† Do you recall what post you are referring to?†

Thanks,

dao

dao,

Sorry, I don't, but it was simply a reference to taking some flour and firmly rubbing it into your peel, along the grain of the wood.  I recently picked up a wonderful stainless scraper/dough divider, that cleans my peel really well too.  I've very happy with scraping it clean.

Jack

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »
Gottabedapan,

I understand the rubbing of the board with flour for usage, but for storing?  Since lil bugs love flour, have you had any problems with that?  And just wondering, anyone ever actually make a peel?  I'm assuming it would have to be a hardwood, very seasoned so it doesn't warp.  Adam
Adam

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »

TIA,

Jack

Just get some mineral oil. Rub it on and then you are set...

You can do the same thing for chopping blocks and wooden handle knives....

Wood drys out and needs to have moisture...that is where the mineral oil comes in...

pizzapan