Author Topic: Newbie Question - Is this real Chicago style ?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Newbie Question - Is this real Chicago style ?
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »
Hi guys,

There are absolutely NO pizza parlours in my area that sell anything but reg style pizza, and
so my wife bought this pizza the other day at the grocery store.  It *seems* to be somewhat
authentic Chicago style, but I'd like your opinion.

This pizza says to bake it from frozen, and we did so.  I have never in my life tried a real Chicago pizza,
so I have to wonder..... is the crust supposed to be like that of a lemon meringue pie ? , this crust was pretty
crispy, and I would gather it has no yeast in it at all.  Very cracker like indeed.

I thought I would post a few pix and ask, since I just don't have a clue about Chicago style pizza ( about the crust )

So, below are a few pix of the pizza. ( By the way, the pizza tasted very good.  It had spinach in it, and I've never had that
in a pizza before and it was awesome ! )

( I think I would be interested in making one also, so I wonder what would be a good beginner recipe to try )

Thanks guys and gals  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:47:03 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline timza

• My very first pizza.
Re: Newbie Question - Is this real Chicago style ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:40:09 PM »
It is funny to me that you say the pizza places in your own town have "reg style pizza", but I would expect that there is some variation in what you would call "reg style" in those pizza places.  And, after all, what is "reg style"?

I have never been to Chicago, but I know that there are variations on what Chicago style pizza is. 

Look at this thread for a pizza that appears to me to be very similar to the one you have shown:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4070.msg33948.html#msg33948

Tim.
Eratosthenes calculated the Earth's circumference around 240 B.C.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Newbie Question - Is this real Chicago style ?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »
Being in Canada, there is really only one style of pizza, "reg style pizza" would mean something like Pizza Pizza type pizza.  I can't say that it compares to any styles in the States, as I've really not tasted any.  I have been to Wildwood N.J. on the board walk and had have the pizza there, but for 50 cents a slice, or whatever it was in the late 1980s, you can't really say much, as they didn't put much cheese on it, and no toppings either, but what do you want for 50 cents right  ;)

It's just so hard trying to describe a pizza.  The same thing goes for images of a pizza.  A pizza could look amazing in an image, and somebody gets a thought of what it *might* taste like, but in reality can taste totally different when you actually taste it.  I make a lot of pizza, and they look great, but I've never been able to make a pizza that tastes like something that came from the pizzeria down the street, and that is something that makes me sad at times, however I know I don't have the same oven, and unless I want to go and buy a pizza place I won't be making it exactly the same.  :-\

Yeah, I just don't know what to compare the reg. style pizza here to.  There is NO choice up here... a few years ago I ordered a "Chigago style " pizza from a place in my neighbourhood.  Guess what arrived at my door ? ... a reg. pizza, but the crust was thicker.... that was it.  It wasn't even a pan pizza, it wasn't different in any way, except the guy told me that he didn't stretch the dough as much, so it would turn out as a "Chigago" pizza.  That's about how much know-how they have up here to make a pizza.

You get the same pizza, just different toppings and that's how it boils down... it's rather depressing  :(

EDIT: thanks for the link to that pizza ! and yes, this look much like the ones in my photo.  Well that gives me hope !

It is funny to me that you say the pizza places in your own town have "reg style pizza", but I would expect that there is some variation in what you would call "reg style" in those pizza places.  And, after all, what is "reg style"?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:18:05 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.