Author Topic: KASL...Has anyone thought of.....  (Read 2487 times)

Offline RadarRick

KASL...Has anyone thought of.....
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
starting a 'trade association' program for quanity purchasing. I know that the "Sysco's" of the world do this (suggesting we keep it pizza specific) but we need an association that is looking out for the members who join the association.

There seems to be at least two pizza 'trade assoctaions' that have good trade shows, decent magazines, etc. Do they have discount purchasing programs for being a member?

I have been a member of other trade associations and discount purchasing was a part of your reason for joining the association. Training and equipment can be a part also.

I am a newbie to this site, but I have not seen this type of program in the pizza industry.

As an example, why is KASL so 'difficult' to purchase? Thank goodness for UPS... :-D

I am sure if there were several locations around the country that acted as distributors, we could all save some money while getting a high quality product(s). Wouldn't it be great to purchase KASL at the same price as a lessor quality flour.

Do you think KA would like to sell a truckload(s) of flour to NYC every month? If there were 20 other regional cities that all bought truckloads of flour I am sure we would get some perks from KA.

You could do this with sauce, tomatoes, cheese, etc. Not carry all the products, just the high quality stuff.

What do you think?

Offline Garlic head

• I need Garlic to survive
    • WKevin.com
Re: KASL...Has anyone thought of.....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:18:40 PM »
As an example, why is KASL so 'difficult' to purchase? Thank goodness for UPS... :-D

I know what you mean. Today, I spent a couple of hours at several stores looking for SAF-INSTANT yeast with no luck. It looks like I'll have to order some online.  8)

Offline enob

• I Really Really Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:32:50 PM »
Sounds like an good idea

I live in Chicago and have been getting my KASL via The Flour Shack reasonable shipping costs(at least to Chicago)

http://www.floursack.com/merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FL

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
I could consider selling KASL at cost to members via the USPS flat rate box.  I finally found a source for this stuff... it is actually in VT but we have been back and forth to VT many times lately in a push to move there.   

It costs about $0.7 per pound (my cost) plus $ 14 to ship (largest flat rate box). I don't know how many # off hand that'll hold though. 
Patrick

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
KASL is generally available through restaurant suppliers. I know you can order it from KA catalog but shipping rates sre outrageous. I purchase it in50# sacks at a local restaurant supplier who happens to run a cash n carry store that is open to the public. To be trueful, I did use KASL for my pizza doughs for a while, and finally decided that it made the dough a bit too tough and chewy. Have since switched to a lower protein flour for my pizzas, although KASL makes outstanding bagels.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
nobody around here has it.  We have lots and lots of bromated flour... KA bread flour is easier to come by but not KASL. And this is 15 miles from NYC.  i have never tried the KASL and have been looking forward to it :)
Patrick

Offline sailor01

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
KASL - Are you referring to King Arthur Special Flour?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
sir lancelot sorry.

special flour is the same thing as KA bread flour i think :)
Patrick

Offline sailor01

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
duh...sorry, had a temporary brain lapse! I used tons of King Arthur Special and Sir Galahad in my bakery. Forgot about the Sir Lancelot. I used Kyrol for High Gluten by Conagra.

pizzapan