Author Topic: The O.I.P. The Original Italian Pizza....  (Read 2296 times)

Offline rebeltruce

The O.I.P. The Original Italian Pizza....
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:34:57 PM »
The O.I.P. is my favorite Pa. pizza joint, I grew up in central Pa. and every time I visit home I bring back a pie. I always order the pie half baked, and finish it off once I get back to Va.

The pizza is in the Neapolitan/N.Y. style. Sold by the pie or slice, with all of the standard toppings. The crust is a nice mix between chewyness and crispness especially when it's hot out of the oven.

Locations are spread through out central Pa. but the locations I usually hit are in and around the Lewistown, Pa. area.

I've been trying to duplicate this pie for years, and now that I've found this forum I'm sure I'll finally be able to make a reasonably close version at home. I'll attach a few pictures that my buddy and I took last night before devouring the entire pie! 

5 minutes on a perforated pan in a 550 degree oven did the trick, and finished the baking to perfection.

Enjoy the pics, and if you get the chance to stop by an O.I.P. remember the subs are excellent to!!!

The Pictures are courtesy of my friend Jim, pizza photographer extraordinaire.....

Offline rebeltruce

Re: The O.I.P. The Original Italian Pizza....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »
Here are a couple more.....Enjoy!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »
Truce,

Is that an actual O.I.P. pie or your interpretation of it using your home oven?

Peter

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 02:27:38 PM »
Hey Pete,

Man o man I wish it was my interpretation of an O.I.P. pie, but alas it is one I brought back with me Sunday evening from the Port Royal, Pa. location.

I've gotten close at home a couple times.....now that I'm a member here though I can almost taste success!! I will try this weekend to duplicate and post my results.........w/picures. Will start my dough tomorrow night........to bake on Saturday!

I ordered it half baked, and finished it for 5 minutes at 550'.....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 02:29:11 PM by rebeltruce »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:37:31 PM »
I love sriracha sauce.  Killer on pizza for a garlic/hot kick.

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
I love sriracha sauce.  Killer on pizza for a garlic/hot kick.

Scott I agree 100%, my friend didn't have any pepper flakes, so I improvised, adapted and overcame...LOL!

I use Sriracha on almost everything! I hate the Kraft cheese, but I forgot to bring my Reggiano over to my buddy's house!!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 02:44:40 PM by rebeltruce »