Author Topic: chicago style - two crusts?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline IRHusker

• I Love Pizza!
chicago style - two crusts?
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »
Sorry for the beginner question but does chicago style pizza sometimes have a second crust on top?  Thought it was just cheese, ingredients then sauce but no second crust. Is this just an optional thing?  I haven't made this style for a long time but I remember my crust ended up being a bit dry.  I'm pretty sure there was a decent amount of canola oil in the dough if I remember right.  Maybe not enough oil...

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: chicago style - two crusts?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:07:49 PM »
Sorry for the beginner question but does chicago style pizza sometimes have a second crust on top?  Thought it was just cheese, ingredients then sauce but no second crust. Is this just an optional thing?  I haven't made this style for a long time but I remember my crust ended up being a bit dry.  I'm pretty sure there was a decent amount of canola oil in the dough if I remember right.  Maybe not enough oil...

Yes, some Chicago pizzas CAN have a second crust.  You can add a little bit of sauce and oil on top to keep it from drying out.

Offline IRHusker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »
Thanks!

Do you typically oil the pan as well or just spray it?

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:56:25 PM »
Thanks!

Do you typically oil the pan as well or just spray it?

You'll need SOMETHING, whether it's oil, non-stick spray or butter to keep the dough from sticking to the pan.  It may depend on the recipe you're using which ingredient you'd end up using.

Offline IRHusker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »
Sorry, my questin should have been more thurough.  What I was thinking is that my crust have tended to turn out with good consistancy but maybe a bit dry on the out side while still nice on the inside.  I'm wondering if oiling the pan versus spraying would help with the positure on the outside of the crust.  I'll give it a try.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:43:51 AM »
Sorry, my questin should have been more thurough.  What I was thinking is that my crust have tended to turn out with good consistancy but maybe a bit dry on the out side while still nice on the inside.  I'm wondering if oiling the pan versus spraying would help with the positure on the outside of the crust.  I'll give it a try.

If you're having problems with dryness, try brushing the crust with some oil or melted butter right after baking.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:07:24 AM »
The pie with crust on top (and usually sauce on THAT) is considered STUFFED. Pizza with crust, cheese, ingredients and the sauce is either called PAN or deep dish. Although pizza joints with all three types usually mean deep dish is the big 2-3 inch crust and then toppings like a regular pizza.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 07:41:58 AM »
The pie with crust on top (and usually sauce on THAT) is considered STUFFED. Pizza with crust, cheese, ingredients and the sauce is either called PAN or deep dish. Although pizza joints with all three types usually mean deep dish is the big 2-3 inch crust and then toppings like a regular pizza.

Yes, but he asked if there was such a thing as a stuffed Chicago pizza. . . and there is.

Offline Musky

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »
I have followed Loowaters's recipe for deep dish crust from this site with good success.  I have greased my deep dish pan with butter flavored Crisco and on one occasion corn oil.  Both worked well.  Nicely browned exterior on both the sides and bottom.  Not dry at all.

His dough recipe rocks by the way.  Just as good or better than Lou Malnati's.

Kevin

Smithers, release the hounds.

Offline IRHusker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »
Nice Musty!  Would you mind sharing that recipe or pointing me to where it might be in the forum?  Thanks a bunch!

Offline Musky

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »
What I did before I started was read a bunch of the Chicago threads.

These two are the best IMHO.  I followed the recipe by Loowaters in the second thread for my first deep dish. He was kind enough to inform me he has changed that recipe a bit increasing the corn oil to 19% and decreasing the olive oil to 4%.  I wasn't familiar with baker's percentages when I started, but figured that out also from the second thread.  My other attempts I went with the 19%. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4070.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4070.0.html

I've posted pictures of my pies.  Search for my name.  The threads will show the product you can turn out if you follow the recipes that Loo, DKM, Randy, Pete-zza, and many others have so painstakingly put together.

I joined this site six or seven weeks ago, and this Saturday I am having a family party where I'm going to make two Loowaters' deep dish, two Randy's American Style, and two DKM cracker style.  Because of the recipes these guys have made available on this site, I'm confident all six will be at the very least pretty darn good.

Kevin

"Is the Leaning Tower of Pizza just a statue?"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:33 AM »
Kevin,

Correct me if I am wrong, but did you mean the second thread/post you noted to be this one: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3115.msg26413.html#msg26413?

Peter

Offline Musky

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 08:17:01 AM »
Pete, I didn't come across that thread, but those are the same percentages as in Loo's "my prettiest yet" thread, I think.  The recipe in that thread is where I got started.  Chiguy converted the percentages to volume in the "prettiest" thread which was also helpful on my first attempt.

He also states somewhere that the corn oil % has been increased to 19%, but I couldn't find which thread that was in. 

Kevin

Pizza, it's what's for dinner.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »

Offline Musky

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »
That's it.  You rock.  MMMMM, 19% corn oil.

Kevin

"Is the Leaning Tower of Pizza just a statue?"

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
That oil percentage change was noted in the "Possibly my prettiest..." post (in retrospect, what a stupid title I came up with) in reply #37.  I can't figure out how Peter referenced an exact post within a thread or I'd send you right to it.  Again, I'll emphasize, that change was an important flavor adjustment.

Loo
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:28:13 PM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 04:37:10 PM »
I can't figure out how Peter referenced an exact post within a thread or I'd send you right to it.

loo,

Until member enchant told me how to do it, I didn't know how to link directly to a post within a thread. I was so thrilled with the revelation, I posted on the subject, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3249.msg27461.html#msg27461.

Peter

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
loo,

Until member enchant told me how to do it, I didn't know how to link directly to a post within a thread. I was so thrilled with the revelation, I posted on the subject, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3249.msg27461.html#msg27461.

Peter

Peter.  Always there to pick me up when I fall.   :chef:
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline IRHusker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »
Thanks folks!!!!!!!!!!

I know you like to work in bakers percentages so I'm wondering if there is a tool avaible to help with this.  Something where I could enter(for instance) the 100% = 3 cups and have the tools spit out the remaining quantites?  I bit tough calculating when we're talking 19% as opposed to something easy like 25%.  I'm lazy and not so great at math.  :-)

???

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
IRHusker,

There is a tool but it hasn't been put on the forum yet. However, if you tell me the dimensions of your pan (diameter and depth if a straight-sided pan, and top and bottom diameters and depth if a sloping-sided pan), and tell me how far up the sides of the pan you want to push the dough, I think I can help you with a formulation for the loowaters dough recipe. If you want to make a stuffed pizza instead of a regular deep-dish pizza, please so indicate. Please also tell me what flour you plan to use.

Peter

pizzapan