Author Topic: brick ovens  (Read 4527 times)

Online Matthew

Re: brick ovens
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 06:26:38 AM »
John, very nice & very anxious!  The difference between you & I is come spring, all you need a match & some wood.  Once I make up my mind, the oven will be in my garage waiting for the snow to disappear.  Michael from Wildwood was kind enough to send me the CAD drawing of their metal stand so that I can have it manufactured locally & save a ton on shipping.  According to Michael, the oven goes together in no time, so I should be up & running fairly quickly.  Can't wait ;D 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:29:29 AM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 06:50:54 AM »
Yes 12 degrees here in NJ too so I have been refining my pizza skills indoors. Yes, take the cover off and light the fire and I cant Wait :pizza: My oven is definitely not portable! It will probably be here long after the House :)  It took me over 9 months to build.
again good luck with all the choices you will love it cant wait to see pics of the new Pizzaola
John
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:56:23 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 07:45:18 AM »
Yes 12 degrees here in NJ too so I have been refining my pizza skills indoors.

Why do you have to bake indoors? I use my brick oven all the time in weather that cold. One of my favorite things in life is to fire-up the WFO or BBQ pit in the early morning cold, warm myself from the heat of the fire with the dog at my side, breath in the sweet smell of burning pecan and oak, sip a cup of hot coffee, and watch the sun rise with thoughts of the good meal to come. 

Bill

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
One of my favorite things in life is to fire-up the WFO or BBQ pit in the early morning cold, warm myself from the heat of the fire with the dog at my side, breath in the sweet smell of burning pecan and oak, sip a cup of hot coffee, and watch the sun rise with thoughts of the good meal to come. 

Roy Rogers meets Mister Rogers.  Nice.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »
Roy Rogers meets Mister Rogers.  Nice.

I was thinking more along the lines of Kilgore in Apocalypse Now: I love the smell of Ischia in the morning :D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »
Bill,
Its not the firing or the cold thats the problem. I play Paddle tennis in 2 degree weather and love it. What it is ,is no one else will come out and the mess on the hardwood floors and throughout the kitchen is more work than trying a deep dish in the wolf oven. Its a great set up and I love trying the different styles of pizza. Do you do mostly the same crust or do you do deep dish , cracker , chicago... in the WFO? I love the VPN pizzas it puts out but  I find the temp is a bit much for these other styles and by the time it cools down I am done for the night..
John

Offline laruer

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »
I installed a Milano in the courtyard of my new house late last summer.   So far have cooked over 300 pizzas for parties of up to 25 people. Cooking 3 pizzas at a time is no problem with a fire off to the side.   

Customer service has been outstanding.  Given the nature of the installation (built into the side of the house in a courtyard and vented through the back side of the roof) I ordered my venting from Precision Vent and they were also very responsive and helpfull.   

I Installed 2 inch ceramic insulating board between the concrete slab and the floor of the oven then the ceramic fiber insulation blanket that came with the oven plus another layer of ceramic fiber insulation I found on ebay.   Then filled the balance of the area around the oven with vermiculite.  Biggest heat lost right now is through the oven door.    The oven itself was very easy to put together (about an hour) by myself.   

Cooked pizza this afternoon and the dome temp is at 450 four hours after I stopped cooking Pizza and closed the oven door.    I generally run the dome temp either side of 700 degrees while cooking.   

I looked at several manufacturers and for the price and technology bought the Wild Wood oven.   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 09:10:12 PM »
Laurer,
Very nice! I do similar pizza parties. Did you build the oven? If not can I ask what something that costs to create. I was quoted $25,000.00 for my set up. at which Time after catching my breath I did the entire thing myself. see link Hows about a few pizza pics from that beauty?

Offline laruer

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »
Hard to tell the exact cost since it was planned into the cost of the home from the beginning.  Just a guess that the cost of adding the oven to the planned fireplace was $1,000 for the concrete block and slab to set the oven on.   The oven core was around $2500 delivered.   I assembled the oven myself.  Insulation totaled around $300.   The venting was the expensive part costing around $6000 installed for a commercial type flue and vent fan.   The oven is in a courtyard that is enclosed on 3 sides by house and by a 6 foot wall on the 4th side.    I could have probably gotten by cheaper but the courtyard is surrounded by house and a tall wall on all 4 sides so I went with the foolproof option on venting to make sure I did not end up with a smoky courtyard.   

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »
I installed a Milano in the courtyard of my new house late last summer.   So far have cooked over 300 pizzas for parties of up to 25 people. Cooking 3 pizzas at a time is no problem with a fire off to the side.   

Customer service has been outstanding.  Given the nature of the installation (built into the side of the house in a courtyard and vented through the back side of the roof) I ordered my venting from Precision Vent and they were also very responsive and helpfull.   

I Installed 2 inch ceramic insulating board between the concrete slab and the floor of the oven then the ceramic fiber insulation blanket that came with the oven plus another layer of ceramic fiber insulation I found on ebay.   Then filled the balance of the area around the oven with vermiculite.  Biggest heat lost right now is through the oven door.    The oven itself was very easy to put together (about an hour) by myself.   

Cooked pizza this afternoon and the dome temp is at 450 four hours after I stopped cooking Pizza and closed the oven door.    I generally run the dome temp either side of 700 degrees while cooking.   

I looked at several manufacturers and for the price and technology bought the Wild Wood oven.   

Thanks for making my decision easier!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
Yes the zero clearance pipe was around $600 bucks for the 5-6 pieces I needed to get thru the roof but working with wood was easier for me building with wood.
John