Author Topic: Snappy Tomato Pizza  (Read 2697 times)

Peatsie

Snappy Tomato Pizza
« on: July 17, 2004, 01:35:45 PM »
Hey guys!  Just found this forum....looks excellent.

I have a pizza recipe question that I hope someone can help me with...

I am trying to make pizza like my local Snappy Tomato Pizza place, but can't find any recipes for anything like it. below is a picture from the Snappy menu...not sure if the pizza you get in a US Snappy joint is the same as in the UK?

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to find a recipe for something similar.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 01:40:42 PM by Peatsie »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Snappy Tomato Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 02:39:51 PM »
Can you gives us your description of the crust and how it differs from some of the other recipes?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Peatsie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »
Well....it's actually quite hard to describe. I was hoping that someone here has tried a Snappy Pizza before and therefore can relate to what I'm talking about. Anyway...here goes!!!

The crust is around 5mm thick and is soft. A slice will sag quite a bit when you pick it up. The edge of the crust is also soft and springs back when you squeeze it (it's a bit like puff pastry in it's constituency).

Most dough recipes I have tried (including the NY recipe on this site) are quite good (they have mainly used bread flour), but are not the same (no disrespect intended!). They generally seem to result in a coarse 'bread like' crust whereas the Snappy crust (which does call itself New York style BTW) is 'smoother', not quite so chewy, and has large air pockets in it (if that makes sense?).

I realise the above probably isn't very helpful!!, but I'm not really sure how else to describe it.

Peatsie

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 04:01:29 PM »
Actually it was quite helpful.

Sounds like you will need to use a softer flour (AP or 00) and even if you use a mixer to bring it together, you might need to do some hand kneading to form the air pockets and that the dough should not be over worked.

It also sounds like it is cooked a lower temp then a NY style (maybe around 450 F).  Do you know if it is cooked in a pan or on a screen or directly on the oven?

DKM

Peatsie

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 05:29:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's cooked in a pan as their menu says the pizza's are authentic pan pizza's. Also, the edge of the crust looks as though it has been formed in a pan and not place directly on the oven.

Thanks for the tips, I will try softer flour and reduce the cooking temperature a bit. I tend to mix the ingredients by hand using a wooden spoon as decent mixers can be pretty expensive here in the UK. The KitchenAid mixer is around 300 (around $550US). but maybe it's time to buy one...

Thanks again.

Peatsie

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:35 PM »
Try to get a copy of the book American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza. For people that do not have a mixer this is the good book to have.

DKM

Peatsie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 08:44:01 AM »
Thanks!! I'll look out for that.

Peatsie

pizzapan