Author Topic: Malnatis (Ghee vs. Corn Oil)  (Read 907 times)

Offline pizzard

Malnatis (Ghee vs. Corn Oil)
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:01:05 AM »
Note:  Ghee is also known as clarified butter.  This is pure butter fat as the whey is removed.

I have been experimenting with melted ghee vs. corn oil for my deep dish pizza.  The recipe I have been following is courtesy of Pythonic.  However, for whatever reason, I decided to try melted ghee instead of corn oil.  The dough I made ended up in the fridge for a two days, due to a change in plans on the day I made it.  This increased flavor development.

The most notable difference between using melted ghee instead of corn oil was the ease of working with the dough.  It molded beautifully up against the side of the pan, and did not slide down, which has been a consistent problem when I make deep dish. 

Here are a few pics...and the recipe again was adopted from an earlier Pythonic post with alterations made to fat and oil only and a doubling of the original recipe.  I would have used 100% ghee, but I ran out, so balanced it out with 15 grams of corn oil.

404 g Flour - I used a high gluten/pizza flour
186 g - H2O
60 g - ghee
15 g - corn oil
2 g - active dry yeast (not highly active)

PS...I made Phythonics thin crust with ghee and again had really nice results with the crispness of the crust. 

Offline rapidsgrand

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Malnatis (Ghee vs. Corn Oil)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
Did your crust have a nutty taste?

Offline pizzard

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:33:28 AM »
Did your crust have a nutty taste?

No, I can't say that I noticed a nutty taste...it was really delicious though.  Keep in mind, it did ferment for a full 48 hours before I made the pizza.  The most notable difference was the structure of the dough.  It was so easy to work with, and the crust was crisp.  I would imagine using this much saturated fat vs. the polyunsaturated fat found in corn oil is the primary reason.

Offline biondanonima

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
I was reading through various DD dough formulations the other day and I was wondering if anyone had tried ghee instead of whole butter.  Looks like it works out well.  Must keep this in mind for experimentation!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »
We have been showing our students those same benefits of using a "plastic" fat (Ghee, margarine, butter, Crisco, etc) in forming the dough into the pan as opposed to using oil. In fact we hold a contest where one group of students try to fit the dough into an oiled pan while the other group fits the dough into a "greased" pan. We all know which group won that contest. The biggest difference between using oil and shortening in the pan is that shortening/plastic fat gives the finished pizza a drier looking crust than the oil does. Some of our students have compared it to a bread crust/heel slice, while the oil provides a fried characteristic to the finished crust. In many cases we have used a plastic fat to coat the inside edge of the deep-dish pan and oil to cover the bottom of the pan, this way you get the best of both worlds, ease of forming the dough to the pan while still getting a fried crust characteristic, of course if you don't want that oily crust just go with all plastic fat. For a unique flavor sometime try sprinkling raw sesame seeds into the pan before you drop in the dough and begin pressing it out. The seeds bake into the bottom of the crust and provide a great toasted sesame flavor to the finished crust. This is already making me hungry!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
When it comes to shrinkage while forming the dough, I just crimp harder and faster,  with a Malnati style pizza that's OK as you generally have a very thin taper anyway.

I never oil my pans as they are well seasoned and most DD doughs shouldn't need it even on a fresh pan.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
One of the main reasons for using fat/oil in a deep-dish pan is to achieve a fried characteristic to the baked crust. Oil is very good at providing this characteristic while shortening on the other hand gives a finished crust that is more like that of white pan bread. The shortening also provides for some grip to help hold the dough in place while trying to press the dough out into the pan with oil can be an exercise in futility unless the dough is REALLY soft and relaxed..
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline pizzard

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 12:13:10 AM »
I can't recall if I actually used the ghee to "grease" the pan, but it was the predominant fat used in the dough recipe.  One of the benefits of using ghee over butter is that it has a much high smoke point...~400 F. 

I was really pleased with the textural properties of the pizza, and will continue to experiment with both ghee and corn oil to find the perfect ratio. 

On another note...both the Malnati's Chicago style and thin crust I made using ghee had that unmistakeable biscuit crunch.

Tom, I had not given much consideration to the difference between using an "oil" vs. a "fat" in either the dough, or for greasing...thank you for commenting.

pizzapan