Author Topic: First Post: Thanks Buzz! & Sauce and cheese questions...  (Read 1461 times)

Offline ptm

First Post: Thanks Buzz! & Sauce and cheese questions...
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:12:29 AM »
Hello all -

I am a Chicago native living in Shanghai, China, and decided that the only way I was going to get decent pizza was by making my own.  So, after a bit of research, I found Buzz's recipe for Girodano's style, which I have made about 5 times.  My wife and I love it - it is our new Sunday ritual.  Thanks, Buzz, for a very good recipe.

I am faced with a bit of a unique challenge in that I cannot find all of the normal ingredients, so I have made a few slight modifications to the recipe.  After some wrangling, the crust is near perfect.  I use Gold Medal organic unbleached flour, active dry yeast, sugar, salt, and oil as per the recipe.  I have added 1/4 cup of cornmeal just as a matter of preference.  I am forced to use a cake form for the pan, but it works just fine.  I knead for 2 minutes, let it rise for 3 to 8 hours.

My next challenge is with sauce and cheese.  I love Giordano's, but I also liked Barry's Spot which is a very thick pizza.  A lot of cheese and a LOT of sauce. (On the North side back in the late 80's early 90's - it was fantastic.  I've heard it may not be so great anymore?)

Sauce:
5 cans (250g drained weight ea.) - Annalisa Pomodori Pelati peeled tomatoes. Completely drained.
3 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Italian Spice
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/3 tsp basil

The problem is - the sauce lacks the flavor and tanginess of Girodanos or similar sauces.  I have thought about adding a bit of paste, or making more elaborate sauces.  Unfortunately, 6 in 1 is not available in Shanghai, China (and importing a case would cost more than $200 after shipping and customs!). Any suggestions for me?  Anyone tried Annalisa brand? (By the way, I drain the tomatoes very thoroughly, or I end up with too much liquid.)

Cheese
I am currently using Ambrosi southern Italian white mozzarella.  Very good actually, though not cheap here (about $25 / kg. when I can get it, which is not often).  I use about one pound per pizza.  What do others use?  I am going to try some "regular" yellow mozzarella from Australia as it is much less expensive - and who knows, might be great. Again, any suggestions?

Thanks again to all of you.

Kind regards,

Paul in Shanghai

I have attached a picture of attempt three: