Author Topic: Pizza Recipe, Pete-zza  (Read 5369 times)

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
Pizza Recipe, Pete-zza
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »
I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this recipe.  It tastes pretty darn good, but I change it a little everytime.  This is NOT my recipe, but a recipe I found on the internet.  And actually, now that I think about it, I am not 100% sure it is American style or not, but I have been calling it that.  This recipe does not say what size it is for, but seems to fit my 16 inch pan rather nicely.  Oh, I do use less yeast than this recipe initially calls for.

This is what the recipe looks like on the internet, where I found it posted:

3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup warm water (between 95° and 115° F.)
2 T yeast (2 tablespoons, I like my dough a little yeasty. You can use less)
2 T honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:24:51 PM by dapizza »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Pizza Recipe, Pete-zza
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:06:54 PM »
2 tablespoons of yeast ? .... yikes.  That's way way too much, but hey,, if it floats your boat, then that's great.

Even if you used 1 tablespoon, you are way over what any pizzeria would use for that amount of flour and liquid,
and it should taste mighty yeasty.

If you like the pizza this way, then that's great, rules are meant to be broken, and that's what makes the world go round, - everyone has different tastes.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this recipe.  It tastes pretty darn good, but I change it a little everytime.  This is NOT my recipe, but a recipe I found on th internet.  And actually, now that I think about it, I am not 100% sure it is American style or not, but I have been calling it that.  This recipe does not say what size it is for, but seems to fit my 16 inch pan rather nicely.  Oh, I do use less yeast than this recipe initially calls for.

3 1/2 cups flour
2 T honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:30:16 PM »
Maybe it was a mistake, and should have read two teaspoons which would be a plenty.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:56 PM »
dapizza,

I double checked the date of your post to see if it was dated yesterday and that you were pulling my leg on this one ;).

I don’t honestly know what style the dough recipe represents. To get a better view of the recipe, I converted it to baker’s percents. You didn’t indicate what kind of flour you are using, so I assumed a good all-purpose flour. Since the recipe calls for using warm water, I took that to mean that the yeast is ADY. On the basis of these assumptions, I used forum member November’s mass-volume calculating tool at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to convert the volumes of flour and water to weights. Then, using another dough calculating tool I have been testing, I came up with the following formulation:

Flour (100%):
Water (53.4156%):
ADY (5.12047%):
Salt (0.63006%):
Olive Oil (12.1916%):
Honey (9.47288%):
Total (180.83061%):
442.93 g  |  15.62 oz | 0.98 lbs
236.59 g  |  8.35 oz | 0.52 lbs
22.68 g | 0.8 oz | 0.05 lbs | 6 tsp | 2 tbsp
2.79 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
54 g | 1.9 oz | 0.12 lbs | 12 tsp | 4 tbsp
41.96 g | 1.48 oz | 0.09 lbs | 6 tsp | 2 tbsp
800.95 g | 28.25 oz | 1.77 lbs | TF = N/A

If you used the entire dough amount (28.35 ounces by my estimate) for a single 16” pizza, that translates into a thickness factor of 0.1405, which would mean a very thick crust. On that basis, I can see how you might have been thinking American style. But just looking at the formulation, I find it to be very unbalanced and extremely wasteful of yeast. A somewhat worse case use of yeast is a few-hours or “emergency” dough that uses no more than 1.5% ADY. The yeast in your recipe is at over 5%, or more than three times the maximum recommended amount. And, at two tablespoons, it is a bit more than a 3-strip pack of ADY for just one pizza. That strikes me as excessive, not to mention expensive. If it weren’t for the high amount of oil, I am surprised that your refrigerator or dough container hasn’t left the building by way of the roof. With over 5% yeast, only 0.63% salt, and water at 95-105 ° F, the dough in its container should have become a rocket. The restraining influences on the yeast are the high amount of honey and the high amount of olive oil. This leads me to believe that you can safely dramatically reduce the amount of yeast, honey and oil and maybe end up with a formulation that is much more efficient without dramatically changing the characteristics of the final pizza. You might reduce the quantities of yeast, honey and oil in proportion to start and see how you like the results. I personally think the salt is on the low side and could safely be increased to at least 1.25%, which would be about a teaspoon of ordinary table salt.

You didn’t indicate how you managed the dough but I am curious to know if you cold fermented the dough and what was the finished crust color like. Also, did the crust have a biscuity deep-dish crust texture because of all the oil, and was it sweet?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:12:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:53:07 PM »
Everyone thanks for your replies.  I will post the web address I got this from.  I did the guys bread machine recipe and actually this is a very good dough when done this way.  (Well, I did not follow it exactly I put 1T of yeast in it.) 

Here is the address:  http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/breads/yeast/pizzadough.html

Pete-zza -  I enjoyed the little humor in there.  :)  Umm.. yes the dough does have a sweetness about it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:57:22 PM by dapizza »

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »

3 1/2 cups flour
2 T honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt

With this recipe i would make 2 12" pizzas.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 06:59:40 AM »
my single 12 inch is around 225 g.. 800g that's incredible if you do a 12 inch.  You have to post photos of the beast. 

grove

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »
I thought 2 12" pizzas was approximately the same amount of dough that was used for 1 16" pizza.  Is this correct????

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »
dapizza,

The amount of dough used to make a 16" pizza (28.25 ounces in your case) will make two pizzas that are 11.31" in diameter. It's easy enough to stretch them out a bit to 12" without giving up much.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:37:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline goosen1

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »
Here you go.. I changed this recipe alittle bit and made something fun for my kids... cheezy crust pizza.. Take the yeast down to 2 1/2 teaspoons and the honey down to 1 tablespoon... with a 24hr rise in the chiller....
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline dapizza

• Show me the Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
Goosen1 -  You are awesome!!!

I was hoping somebody would try it.  I really like this dough, so far.  But, just as you have done, I have always changed it a little bit.  Always tinkering with the Yeast (2T is way too much) and also the honey (sugar).  So for the big question.... How did you like it? 

Oh, thanks for posting pics of how you made the stuffed crust.  I have never done this with any recipe, but perhaps since you have illustrated it, I may do so now. 

Thanks so much!!!!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »
Hi goosen1,

I can't comment on the actual recipe, as I haven't tried it, but the quality of your workmanship is
very very good.  I give you A+ for the formation of the dough, the way you did the cheese, and the
final product. I also have to note that you got it very round, and the crust is very uniform the whole way around.

I'm really impressed.  I'd love to have  a slice of that right now, as I'm sure everyone else here would like  ;D

Here you go.. I changed this recipe alittle bit and made something fun for my kids... cheezy crust pizza.. Take the yeast down to 2 1/2 teaspoons and the honey down to 1 tablespoon... with a 24hr rise in the chiller....
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline goosen1

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 10:19:53 PM »
Thanks guys...

dapizza, This is a very good dough.. Believe it or not.. I used a bread maker with this and I substituted the AP flour with bread flour. I set this on the dough cycle and let it run for the hour that it takes and put the dough in the fridge.

canadianbacon, I cheated and used a 12"x1" pizza pan... LOL

The way that I stuff the crust is get cheese sticks and cut them long way then cut them in half. If you guys do this make sure that you press the dough all the way around and make sure that it seals. If you don't, you will have the cheese leak out of the crust.

Goose

pizzapan