Author Topic: Looking for a Neapolitan dough recipe.  (Read 5264 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Looking for a Neapolitan dough recipe.
« on: July 26, 2003, 09:31:47 PM »
I have a couple, but I'm not satisfied with them.  Anyone here have one they really like?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Giallo

• pizzasecrets.com
Re:Looking for a Neapolitan dough recipe.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 02:56:00 AM »
Hello DKM,
I've got a very good Neapolitan dough recipe. Her it is:

Ingredients:

5 1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
1 cup Soft as Silk cake flour
4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/3 cups bottled water
1 1/4 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Start by making a sponge starter-
Heat water to 105 -110 degrees and add the 4 teaspoons of yeast.
Dissolve yeast with fork in water, then add the 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Add 2 1/2 cups of the flour mixture to water to create a sort of batter.  Mix together for a minute or two and set aside covered for about 8 hrs.  Add the salt now to the remaining flour.
After 8 hrs, stir the batter mixture and add the remaining flour.  Mix together with a spoon until it all comes together.  Transfer to a lightly floured board and knead only until it feels soft. Set aside covered for 4 hrs then punch down and divide into 4 balls.  You can put these in the fridge in zip locks with a little olive oil or use them now.  It sounds like a lot of work, but you will not be dissapointed!
Neapolitan Pizza is my specialty.  Check out my website that will be coming on line soon: http://www.pizzasecrets.com
Let me know how it turned out
Joe  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 01:26:01 PM by Giallo »

Offline Giallo

• pizzasecrets.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 03:00:22 AM »
I forgot to tell you this dough will be very sticky!  You will need your dough scraper or cutter to help you in the kneading process.  Remember, try not to use too much flour on the board.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 02:22:15 PM by Giallo »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 07:46:21 AM »
Giallo -- looks great!! How about the sauce and toppings? Do you use whole San Marzano tomatoes? Fresh basil? And do you use whole milk Mozzarella? Have you ever tried buffalo milk Mozzarella?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 07:46:40 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Giallo

• pizzasecrets.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 12:16:46 AM »
Hello Steve,
 I use Polly-O whole milk mozarelli cut with a little provalone.  I use San Marzano and put them in the blender real quick.  Its not pizza without fresh basil!  I have used buffalo mozarelli,  I only use it on special occasions due to its high cost.  
Giallo

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 11:14:40 AM »
Joe, do you cook on a stone?  Another question.  I would think if you used bread flour instead of AP that the cake flour addition would have much less effect.  Has that been your experience?
As a side note, in the south WhiteLily flour is near cake flour.

Randy
P.S.  I have a New York style pizza dough in the Frig for Saturday night. I can hardly wait.

Offline Giallo

• pizzasecrets.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 02:09:41 PM »
Hello Randy,
I use a screen at the bottom rack in the oven at 550 then finish with the broiler to finish the toppings.  I have tried too many flours to count.  I prefer organic flour in bulk I get at a health food store which is low in gluten.  This way the dough is easier to work with and not springy.  I understand the desire to use high gluten flour or gread flour,  but I found the flour I like to work with and it reacts beautifully with my recipe and cooking techniques in the oven and on the grill.
Joe
Check this out, it will be available through my website in Sept.
http://www.pizzasecrets.com

cryogene

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 03:07:14 PM »
Giallo-

Sounds like a great recipe.  I'm going to try it this weekend.  Glad to see the use of sea salt.  It is the best salt in many situations and is highly underused (though I understand not everyone can find it easily).

For everyone here in the forum, I sometimes use a bit of rye flour (about 4 to 1 ratio, or even 3 to 1) for a different twist.  I know it violates the traditional recipe, but friends and family seem to like it and I have to admit, I like the slight nose it adds to the crust.  Also, I am experimenting with beer (pitching) yeast.  As I used to home brew, I have clocked a few hours playing with aspects of slower yeasts.  I have not had amazing success, but it's an interesting avenue to explore.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 09:38:45 AM »
From the cookbook "Pizza Napoletana!" by Pamela Sheldon Johns. This cookbook contains some truly excellent photos and recipes and, in my opinion, is a "must have" for any serious pizza maker!

Classic Pizza Dough DOC

1/2 cake compressed fresh yeast
2 cups warm water (80-90 degrees F.)
1 cup pastry flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
5 1/2 to 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir the yeast into the warm water until it dissolves. Add the 1 cup pastry flour and salt and mix well. Add the all-purpose flour 1 cup at a time, kneading until the dough is not sticky, about 10 minutes. Continue to knead for about 20 minutes longer, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.

For the first rising, shape the dough into a ball and leave it in the mixer or place it on a lightly floured work surface. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm (75 deg. F), draft-free place for 4 hours.

Punch the dough down and divide into 6 pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm (75 deg. F), draft-free place for 2 to 4 hours, until doubled. Makes enough dough for six 10-inch pizzas.

Pizza Margherita DOC

Dough (see above)
7 ounces fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or 7 ounces canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
12 ounces mozzarella di bufala, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices
Sea salt to taste
25 to 30 fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat a wood-burning pizza oven to 750 degrees F.

Pat and then stretch each ball of dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch, leaving the outer edge, the cornicione, slightly thicker. Each round will be about 10 inches in diameter. Place the rounds on a flour-dusted pizza paddle. Place some of the tomatoes in the center of each dough round and with a circular motion, spread it uniformly over the round, leaving a 1/2 inch rim. Distribute the mozzarella evenly over the surface of the tomatoes. Sprinkle each pizza evenly with sea salt and top with 2 or 3 leaves of basil. Drizzle olive oil in a spiral motion from the center to the outer edge.

Slide each assembled pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven, top each pizza with the remaining basil leaves, and serve at once. Makes 10-inch pizzas; serves 6
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline YoMomma

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2003, 11:48:39 AM »
 As I used to home brew,

Would LOVE to know more about home brewing!  Beer and pizza - it just doesn't get any better!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2003, 02:34:34 PM »
Steve that sounds so good, I think I'll try it now.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 08:36:21 AM »
DKM... let me know how you manage to get your oven to 700 degrees F. !!  ;)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 05:41:06 PM »
I didn't.  I got my old grill to very hot.

DKM