Author Topic: Life expectancy of fresh tomato chunks  (Read 1115 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Life expectancy of fresh tomato chunks
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:36:37 AM »
I recently harvested several fresh plum tomatoes from my garden.  I skinned and seeded them and left in large chunks.  How long will this keep in fridge?   I may just freeze them.  Do fresh tomatoes freeze well?

See picture here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3137.msg27599.html#msg27599

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Life expectancy of fresh tomato chunks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:29:26 AM »
The freezing process causes ice crystals from water in the cells to break through cell walls.  Although much of the flavor will be retained, the consistency will be mushier.  Same thing for any fruit like strawberries, etc.  A neat trick if you want peeled tomatoes for a sauce is to freeze them solid as a rock the day before.  The next day take them out of the freezer and run a little hot water over them.  Bang!  The skins pop right off.  Since it's for a sauce anyway the change in consistency usually isn't an issue.

Bill

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Re: Life expectancy of fresh tomato chunks
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »
My frozen tomatoes are still great.  The ones with the peels are even better (seeded, lightly pureed with fresh basil and garlic).  This is the easiest way to preserve fresh tomatoes.  The flavor is way fresher than home canned (jarred) tomatoes.

I have another 2 dozen seedling waiting to make it into the garden.

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

pizzapan