Author Topic: Red Pack Toms on Sale  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Bryan S

Red Pack Toms on Sale
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:32:25 PM »
Here in PA at Giant food stores. The special is the 28 oz cans, 10 for $10 or $1.00 a can up to 10 cans (limit per visit).   :D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Bryan S

Re: Red Pack Toms on Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 04:16:05 PM »
Picked up 20 cans.  ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
I have not tried the red pack.  How do you rate them?

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 04:29:07 PM »
I have not tried the red pack.  How do you rate them?
Well i do have some 6 in 1's here #10 cans but haven't tried them yet. I have been using the Crushed Red Packs in puree for pizza sauce and i used them in a batch of Chili the other day. They are the best canned toms i have ever used. Very fresh and packed with flavor. I also like the fact that they are packed in the white lined can.  8)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
Sounds worth a try.  I will get a can next time I am in the store.

Offline BTB

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:31:34 PM »
BryanS, what are you thoughts now on the Red Pack vs. 6 in 1?  I just got the 6 in 1 a week ago and my wife and I think their product is great, but a little too moist (i.e. water).  I saw a can of the Red Pack today at an Italian deli, was tempted, but passed it up when I read the ingredients and it said that it is packed with citric acid, which 6 in 1 takes great pride in saying that their products don't have.  Since a number of weeks have passed and I'm sure you're still making pizzas, let us know on how you think the products compare.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 04:43:53 PM »
BTB, I have not tried the 6 in 1 toms yet. The Red Packs have good flavor but are somewhat watery. I let them drain for about 2 days and that yields about 1 cup of water from the 28oz can.

Offline BTB

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »
BryanS, I'm surprised you had the 6 in 1 tomatoes for over a month and haven't tried them yet.  I got mine last week with the UPS delivery (took a week and a half) and couldn't wait to try it out and see what everyone seemed to be raving about.  I've made two deep dish pizzas on different occasions since and my wife and I absolutely love the tomato sauce.  It's the "leading contender" so far, but I guess I'll always explore other products, too. 

My first use of the 6 in 1 -- while very tasty -- resulted in a very, very watery pizza.  I tried to blot up the excess liquid with paper towels, but wasn't too successful.  Tasty pizza, tho.  With my second use of 6 in 1, I took the leftover 6 in 1 that I had in the refrigerator in a sealed container and drained it for 4 or 5 hours (see picture below) before using it.  And that turned out fine.  I don't know if it was just the one can that I opened so far, but I would not be anxious to just use the product again right out of the can without draining the sauce.  With the draining, however, the sauce hit the spot right on.  Can't imagine anything else as good, but I'll be always on the look out for something better.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
BryanS, I'm surprised you had the 6 in 1 tomatoes for over a month and haven't tried them yet.  I got mine last week with the UPS delivery (took a week and a half) and couldn't wait to try it out and see what everyone seemed to be raving about. 
Well BTB i got them in the #10 cans from penn-mac and just haven't got around to making up a big batch of pizza sauce.  :o I'll be trying them out soon. I drain my cans of crushed toms like this.  :D