Author Topic: Convection Oven vs Regular Oven  (Read 4046 times)

Offline doughdiver

• I Love Pizza!
Convection Oven vs Regular Oven
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:48:06 PM »
Hello,

I assume that a convection oven overall is better for making various styles of pizza (particularly interested in NY and American styles) than using a standard oven without turning on the convection.  In either case I would be using a pizza stone and/or a screen.  Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks.

Rick
Rick

Offline LabRat

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Convection Oven vs Regular Oven
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »
I prefer to bake pizza directly on a stone in a conventional oven.  When using the convection feature of my oven, my experience has been that the top of the pie gets over browned before the crust is fully cooked.

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
I prefer the convection setting....as long as the stone is in the bottom third of the oven...and have had no problem with top browning first....

I use a hearth kit insert...which is sort of a souped up stone with curved walls that simulate a hearth more than a stone can do...

hearthkitchen.com
Stuart

Offline DWChun

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
I use a convection oven and after learning its unique characteristics, I have no problem with cooking New York style pizza. I use just a stone and the rack it is on is set at the bottom third of the oven. My own oven has a hot spot towards the right side so my stone has been moved slightly left of the center to compensate for this. Trial and error!