Author Topic: Pre-baking Deep Dish Crust  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Tadeschi

Pre-baking Deep Dish Crust
« on: March 05, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
I'm about to try making my first Chicago style deep dish pizza. Several friends have said to me that because of the weight of the sauce and toppings it might be a good idea to pre-bake the crust in order for it to rise some. When I survey the prospective recipes however, none of them call for pre-baking. Could some of you more experienced guys share your thoughts with me on this topic?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pre-baking Deep Dish Crust
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
Tadeschi,

You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1990.msg17541.html#msg17541.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »
No need to parbake a Chicago Deep dish.  Use DKM's or Loo's recipe.

Offline Shystev99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 03:30:17 PM »
I've made about a dozen or so deepdish pizzas over the past year or so. So I'm in no way an expert but in all the ones I've made I've never pre-baked the crust. And mine are pretty heavy topping wise. I don't make em everyday but when I do, I load em up.
And I've even used different types of toppings or fillings. Meat and sausage in some, Spinach and chicken in others. The crust always bakes fine.

Now I use a more bready type dough vs the Chicago Biscuity type and I do like my crust a bit soft and chewy so I tend to underbake a little more than I probably should. Thinking back, Maybe it was a little doughy on 1 or 2 of the pizzas, But it was hardly noticeable. If you have never made one, Just take notes about temps and baking times so you can make changes on the next one if you need to.
Steve

Offline Shystev99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:50:12 PM »
While this topic is still kinda fresh I'd figure i'd add a little update since my last post in the thread. Last night I made a non traditional type deepdish and the bottom was doughy and underbaked. But I am confident it was my own stupidity that caused that, Not anything about the structure of the pie.

I didn't feel like making the traditional type deepdish so last night I attempted a southwest cheeseburger type deepdish. My mistake came in when I had some frozen curly fries that I figured I'd bake with it. Now the stupid mistake came when I saw the directions for the fries. 400 degrees for 24 minutes. Now Normally I bake my deepsish pizzas at 425 for 25 minutes. (I ciiok all my meat in advance so basically the only thing that needs to bake is the dough)
Well I saw the time was the same for both the fries and the pie. So I decided to drop the temp the 25 degrees and bake both at once. 400 for 25 minutes. I had the pizza on the bottom rack like I always do and the fries were up on the very top. The pizza looked great, Crust turned golden and was pulling away from the sides of the pan. It looked done, So figured maybe I pulled it off without a problem. But then in eating it the bottom crust was doughy. It was a moment of stupidity that came back to bite me.

But thats part of learning anything. You make mistakes and adjust to correct them next time. I don't know how to post links, But I stumbled onto another thread that talks about using a hot pizza stone while baking deepdish pizzas. I'm gonna try this method next time, Just as some added insurance.
Its in the
PIZZA MAKING EQUIPMENTpart of the forum
PANS AND ACCESORIES
BEST DEEP DISH PANS? is the thread title its in.
The actual post is by GSCHWIM a few posts down.

Sorry I didn;t post the direct link. Only done a few posts here, Just not sure how yet.
Steve