Author Topic: King Arthur Whole Grain Baking  (Read 3216 times)

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
King Arthur Whole Grain Baking
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »
Forum member youonlylivetwice piqued my interest regarding King Arthurís Whole Grain Baking, published in 2006.  It has recipes covering every type of bakery item.  Despite the title, many of the recipes include some refined flour.  There are helpful hints for whole grain baking sprinkled throughout the book, but it is not a systematic analysis of whole grain baking. 

The pizza recipes are not afterthoughts, as in some cookbooks.  There are four pizza and one focaccia recipes.  Each of the five doughs has a different flour composition, and various fermentation and dough-development techniques are used.  Vital wheat gluten was used in some other bread recipes, but not in pizza.  The technique of extended mixing of most of the flour and all of the water was not used.  I didnít notice autolyse mentioned, except in the sourdough section.  Long kneading was not recommended.

The book highly recommends the use of spelt to start oneís own levain.

Although I wanted to see discussion of things like natural enzymes, KAís Whole Grain Baking is easily the best such cookbook Iíve seen.

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: King Arthur Whole Grain Baking
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:56:27 PM »
There are actually two focaccia recipes: one in the flatbread section and one in the whole grains (spelt) section.

Of the six pizza/focaccia recipes, four use the stretch-and-fold technique of gluten development.  I have found the technique to be amazingly effective with high-hydration doughs.

pizzapan