Author Topic: 2 Different kinds of pizza in one night  (Read 1767 times)

Offline derbow

• I Love Pizza!
2 Different kinds of pizza in one night
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:22:47 AM »
Hi guys.  This is my first post here, but I have been looking around and stealing ideas for about 3 months.  I have been making NY style pizza's for a while now and, if I do say so myself, they are fabulous.  I have gotten the dough mostly the way that I like it.  I am still tweaking hydration% and testing sugar vs. honey vs. none, etc.  But over all, I am making much better pizza than I can buy here in the western Atlanta suburbs.

This weekend, I am going to try my first Chicago.  My 14x2 American Metalcraft with the Anodized coating should be coming in the little brown truck on Wednesday.  I am also going to be making my own sauce for the first time.  Here is my question.  I plan to make a regular NY style, and a Chicago on the same night for the same meal.  For my NY, I preheat the stone and oven to 525 degrees or more.  I know that the Chicago can take from 20-30 minutes to cook, so I know I will need to cook it first.  My NY pies only take 8-9 min.  Is it OK to put my deep dish pan directly on my stone, or is there some danger of cracking the stone or overcooking the bottom of the Chicago pizza?  Even with oven mitts, the thought of moving a 500 degree stone is not very appealing to me.  Also, how many of you cook a Chicago at 500 or higher.  I keep seeing around 450 or so in some threads.

I know you guys are going to ask me about dough recipes and sauce recipes.  I have been doing some research on that for a deep dish pie.  Your suggestions will be appreciated.  I am using Cento crushed tomatoes, because I cannot find 6-1 anywhere, and I saw one thread that said the Cento were thicker anyway.  Would anyone suggest still straining them to remove the seeds, or is that just a personal preference thing?

Thanks.  I have definitely been bitten with the Pizza bug.  The picture of loowater's deep dish in his post (Possibly my prettiest...with pics!) is what inspired me to try the Chicago.  When I see that pizza, I just want to eat my computer screen it looks so good.  I hope mine gets close to that.

thanks for the help!

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: 2 Different kinds of pizza in one night
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:12:27 AM »
I cook my Malnati's style on a stone but I usually follow it up with another deep dish, not a pie that's skin is going directly on the stone.  If you have a good quality stone there should be no fear of it cracking but there will probably be a temp loss to the stone I just don't know how significant.  I'd probably blast the oven and stone at 550* for an hour and then cook the DD pie at 475* on the stone for about 25 mins.  After it comes out, blast the oven back up to 550* to get your stone back up to heat.  Then take your time letting the DD cool a bit before cutting it.  Then prep your NY, slide it on the stone and drop the oven temp to 525* for your cooking temp.  I guess that's how I'd do it but someone else may have a better way. 

Good luck and thanks for the kind words.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline joebot

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »
Hi guys.  This is my first post here, but I have been looking around and stealing ideas for about 3 months.  I have been making NY style pizza's for a while now and, if I do say so myself, they are fabulous.  I have gotten the dough mostly the way that I like it.  I am still tweaking hydration% and testing sugar vs. honey vs. none, etc.  But over all, I am making much better pizza than I can buy here in the western Atlanta suburbs.

This weekend, I am going to try my first Chicago.  My 14x2 American Metalcraft with the Anodized coating should be coming in the little brown truck on Wednesday.  I am also going to be making my own sauce for the first time.  Here is my question.  I plan to make a regular NY style, and a Chicago on the same night for the same meal.  For my NY, I preheat the stone and oven to 525 degrees or more.  I know that the Chicago can take from 20-30 minutes to cook, so I know I will need to cook it first.  My NY pies only take 8-9 min.  Is it OK to put my deep dish pan directly on my stone, or is there some danger of cracking the stone or overcooking the bottom of the Chicago pizza?  Even with oven mitts, the thought of moving a 500 degree stone is not very appealing to me.  Also, how many of you cook a Chicago at 500 or higher.  I keep seeing around 450 or so in some threads.

I know you guys are going to ask me about dough recipes and sauce recipes.  I have been doing some research on that for a deep dish pie.  Your suggestions will be appreciated.  I am using Cento crushed tomatoes, because I cannot find 6-1 anywhere, and I saw one thread that said the Cento were thicker anyway.  Would anyone suggest still straining them to remove the seeds, or is that just a personal preference thing?

Thanks.  I have definitely been bitten with the Pizza bug.  The picture of loowater's deep dish in his post (Possibly my prettiest...with pics!) is what inspired me to try the Chicago.  When I see that pizza, I just want to eat my computer screen it looks so good.  I hope mine gets close to that.

thanks for the help!

Hiya, I live in the Atlanta area too, I get my 6-in-1 tomatoes at either whole foods or you can find them at some of the publix stores too I think. I generally don't worry too much about the seeds when using canned tomatoes. I will however remove the core before I process them.

JB

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:24:45 AM »
I keep my stone in the oven when I cook my deep dish pizza. I'd do what Loo said, give it another 10 or 15 min. before you use it..
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!