Author Topic: I must have done something . . . er . . . right.  (Read 6232 times)

Offline BTB

Re: I must have done something . . . er . . . right.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »
Bryan S, I just made a dough ball for use this weekend (since I have to make it a day or two in advance for a good result) and placed it in a covered bowl in a slightly warmed oven (110 or so) to rise for an hour and a half or two as DKM said, to let it rise, then "punch it down and let it rise again" (assuming another hour and a half or two after that), then throw it into a ziplock type bag and into the refrigerator as loowaters suggested, for a day or two.  I'm waiting on all that now.

So in regards to your using corn oil, do you mean on the bottom of the pan when you cook it instead using of Crisco?  I, of course, mainly put corn oil in the dough mixture along with a lesser amount of olive oil.  I, too, from time to time order the "six pack" of Malnati's frozen pizzas (okay, just a 4 pack, but I drink a six pack waiting for it), and I think the pizzas are "par baked" somewhat, but I can't tell what is or was on the bottom of the crust.  Do you mean you put corn oil on the bottom of the tin pans in which the Malnati's pizzas come in when you cook the frozen ones?  Or do you mean when you cook your home made ones?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »
[Do you mean you put corn oil on the bottom of the tin pans in which the Malnati's pizzas come in when you cook the frozen ones?  Or do you mean when you cook your home made ones?

Not more corn oil but some olive oil in the pan before pressing it out.  However, there's been a little discussion about this on the board before, somebody said they saw that Malnati's puts the dough in the pan for it's rise...so I'm thinkin' the oil went in first.  I saw "Roker on the Road" on Food Network at My Pi in Chicago and what their guy did was run some oil into the pan, then grab the dough ball and swab the dough ball around the pan, oiling the dough up on all sides, before setting the ball in the middle of the pan then set aside for later use.  From what I remember that was dough that was just measured, but I can't be sure.

Loo

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 10:47:33 PM »
Bryan S,

So in regards to your using corn oil, do you mean on the bottom of the pan when you cook it instead using of Crisco?  I, of course, mainly put corn oil in the dough mixture along with a lesser amount of olive oil.  I, too, from time to time order the "six pack" of Malnati's frozen pizzas (okay, just a 4 pack, but I drink a six pack waiting for it), and I think the pizzas are "par baked" somewhat, but I can't tell what is or was on the bottom of the crust.  Do you mean you put corn oil on the bottom of the tin pans in which the Malnati's pizzas come in when you cook the frozen ones?  Or do you mean when you cook your home made ones?
BTB, Yes corn oil in the bottom of the tin on the frozen ones from Malnati's. The directions say to wipe away the condensation then add some Vegtable oil to the bottom of the tin, and thaw in the fridge. Did that on the first 2 I made but wasn't all that impressed with them. I used corn oil on the second 2 and they were really good ( I had ordered the 4 pack). ;D Yes to corn oil in the bottom of the deep dish pan when making them at home.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline BTB

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »
My first attempt at making a Malnati style pizza mentioned above turned out absolutely great.    In that first attempt, this was my crust recipe

9 oz King Arthur AP Flour
     4 oz warm water (about 90 degrees from tap)
     1/2 tsp (approx.) Active Dry Yeast (put into the water for 2-4 min.)
     1/4 tsp Sea Salt
     2 Tablespoons + 1-3/4 tsp Corn Oil
     1-3/4 tsp Light Classico Olive Oil

Mixed by hand and kneaded for 60 to 90 seconds and put right away with a little oil coating into the refrigerator as DKM suggested for 24 hours and -- after cooking the next day using crisco on the bottom of the pan -- the result was far, far better than expected.  (See pictures above)

A week ago I made a second attempt and as many of us do, we try to see how things would be if we tweaked things a bit.  My tweak to the above recipe included another ounce of water (i.e., 5) with the yeast and a half tsp of sugar placed in it, and instead of putting into the refrigerator right away, I oiled the dough ball with a little olive oil, covered in bowl and put in a slightly warmed oven (approx. 110 degrees) for an hour and out onto the counter for another hour.  Then I pounded it down once, reformed the ball slightly, and let it rise on the counter for another 1-1/2 hour and afterwards put it in the refrigerator.  The dough rose considerably larger than my first attempt (which hardly rose at all) and the dough was much moister than the first attempt, which was much dryer (in dough ball form, not as cooked). 

24 hours later I made my second pizza using Polly-O mozz and a little provolone, a sausage patty, and the same sauce as above, added spices and grated cheese, along with a little bit of left over sausage on top on half the pizza, used olive oil on the bottom of the pan instead of crisco, and the results are as the following pictures show (if I can do it right again).  The texture of the dough was very different than my first attempt.  It was much lighter, fluffier (sp?) and slightly more like bread dough-like (just slightly), but not as crispy and crunchy as the first crust attempt.

Here is the dough ball that rose in the bowl considerably more than the first pizza crust attempt.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:53:54 PM by BTB »

Offline BTB

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 10:43:07 AM »
Here is the dough in the pan with the cheese ( I think I put too much cheese in it).

Offline BTB

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 10:46:06 AM »
Here is the sausage patty I made between the parchment paper and clear plastic.

Offline BTB

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
The raw pizza all together before cooking in the oven.

Offline BTB

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 10:51:29 AM »
And the completed product!  I cooked the pizza on the bottom shelf of my GE Profile electric oven at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, turning now and then and for the last 10 minutes I turned on the convection oven feature to help crisp-up/blacken some parts of the pizza slightly.  The picture makes it look darker in spots than it was, but I like a little blackened edges and other parts on top.  The pizza was very good, but very different from my first attempt.  I think you can see that I may have put in too much cheese, but some like it that way.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:00:56 PM by BTB »

Offline BTB

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »
I neglected to say that I also tweaked the amount of oil in the second pizza crust attempt and put in the following oil amounts instead:

2 Tablespoons + 2 tsp Corn Oil
     2 tsp Classico Olive Oil

Just a very slight increase as you might notice.

And actually I don't use all the dough as this recipe was for a 10 inch pan and my pan is a 9 inch one.   I cut out about 12.5 oz of the dough for use in the 9 inch pan.  Even then I cut off a little of the dough when I pinched it up on the edge of the straight sided pan and the weight afterwards I bet was more like 12 oz.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:56:35 PM by BTB »

pizzapan