Author Topic: Healthy Well Done Pizza?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
Healthy Well Done Pizza?
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:43:22 AM »
Who knew that eating home made pizza could actually be this healthy?  Especially if we make one using a cold fermentation and at our "normal" temperatures.  Here is the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17803437/

Adam
Adam

Offline derbow

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Healthy Well Done Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:46 PM »
I have been telling my wife all along that pizza is good for you.  Now there is scientific proof.  That's great! :chef:

Offline trohrs123

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »
Am I missing something here? In the text it says:
"ways to enhance the antioxidant content of whole-grain wheat pizza dough by baking it longer at higher temperatures" emphasis added
and then under the photo it says:

"that cooking pizza faster, at higher temperatures" emphasis added

Which is it baking longer or faster at higher temps? ???

Tim

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »
Their level of detail is quite low, and what it said is confusing, but I think that might be the fault of the author, not the researchers.  Reporters quite often get technical details incorrect when they don't understand a process.  Notice the following was not a quote, but a restatement:

Baking time and temperature can be increased together without burning the pizza when done carefully, the researchers said.

I don't think I have ever seen a more ambiguous statement regarding baking.  Can be increased relative to what?  The times and temperatures they gave are already on par with what pizza is baked at.  I say it's a combination of a slow news day and a misunderstanding of the newfound research.  The longer fermentation time is probably the only interesting tidbit offered.

- red.november

Offline MWTC

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »
Here is another article about the same health benefits of longer fermentation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070326181611.htm

MWTC  :chef:

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »
Yes, and for those of you who don't read Science Daily on a regular basis, they usually have a better informed writing staff than most outlets.  Their reporters seem to understand science just a little more completely.  A much more intelligent restatement from them:

"Longer baking times or higher temperatures generally corresponded to higher levels of antioxidants in comparison to less intense baking conditions, Moore found. Antioxidant levels increased by as much as 60 percent during longer baking times and by as much as 82 percent during higher baking temperatures, depending on the type of wheat flour and the antioxidant test used, the researcher says."

- red.november

EDIT: They still didn't give what the baking times were relative to, but at least they recognized that it's an either/or situation with time and temperature.  One can only assume that they mean between the extremes they listed, i.e. 400 -> 550 degrees and 7 -> 14 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:33:59 PM by November »

pizzapan