Author Topic: Hypothetically....  (Read 1113 times)

Offline othafa9

Hypothetically....
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
If a person had spent years training in french pastry, at some of the finest patisseries and restaurants there are, and then decided to change directions and open a Neapolitan pizza restaurant.  Where as far as the pizza itself tried to stick to the old artisan ways,  would it be offensive culturally or "wrong" to also offer fine french pastry at this restaurant.  I mean it would seem like a waste, if you were capable of making great french pastry and not to use it. thanks....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Hypothetically....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:27:56 PM »
I say go for it.  I would welcome a well done dish of any kind even at the most authentic specialty restaurant. Even if you want to get all hoite toite with the place I definitely think that when it comes to dessert anything goes these days.

My favorite dishes combine the best elements of influence from various cultures, so why does a pizzeria have to only sell Italian food. 

I still think Jeff should sell apple pie at his pizzeria.   :-*

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 10:03:58 AM »
 IMO I think it all depends on how you develop your image and how you market / project yourself.I think it is a superb idea (and one I would embrace in a venture ) but you need to be very clever with your image.Personally I have always preferred other European styles of Pastry/Confectionary to the Italian with just a few exceptions.Good luck,
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »
Boy thats a difficult one to answer.  I guess look at the clientele that you are trying to reach.  Alot of food shops/bakeries will go under because they try to embrace and do to much, trying to cater to all classes, but doing none of them spectacular, since you cannot dedicate the time, energy and resources to "do it right".  I was a Ritz Carlton Chef, and I saw the time it takes to do classical French pastries, and scratch breads/artisans.  This is truly skilled work, not saying that pizza making is for the unskilled, but it can be taught.  Try this out...subscribe to Modern Baking, its free.  It will give you a true view as to what works out there, ie: Soul food does not do all that well in south Texas, and why.  I say, God gave us a gift, we were born to do what we do in a professional kitchen for a reason, so do it well.  I don't know too many people that order: Charlottes, White Chocolate Bavarois and Gateau Saint Honore, that are going to come back for: two large pies well done (and don't forget to stick the plastic three legged mini table in the bottom box so the cheese doesn't stick to the lid when I jump into my Bentley) in the afternoon or evening.  But hey, what do I know?  I still can't make a decent high hydrated dough that will not overferment in my cooler past 4 days.....but you should see my Foie Gras terrines! :chef:
Adam

pizzapan