Author Topic: Can i buy 6 IN 1 in the store  (Read 2896 times)

Offline DFW PizzaMan

Can i buy 6 IN 1 in the store
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »
If so, which stores temd to have it?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Can i buy 6 IN 1 in the store
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »
DFW PizzaMan,

If you live in the DFW area as your name suggests, I have not been able to find 6-in-1s in any stores in the Dallas area. I have looked in all the major chains (Albertson's, Kroger's, Safeway/Tom Thumb, Sack 'n Save/Minyard, Wal-Mart, etc.), and in places like Whole Foods, Jimmy's Italian Market, and Central Market, and none carry the 6-in-1s. Jimmy's in Dallas carries Tomato Magic, which is a Stanislaus counterpart, but that's the closest I have been able to find in the fresh pack area. I buy my 6-in-1`s directly from Escalon, at escalon.net.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »
Patience is not my number 1 virtue.  I was hoping to do one of these recipes that call for 6 in 1 tomorrow.

Oh well, I guess I will order and wait.  I already have plans to try the Central Market in Arlington tonight, so we'll see if by chance i get lucky at a different one.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:15:14 PM »
DFW PizzaMan,

If you are the same DFW PizzaMan who posts at the PMQ Think Tank and have a business license, or are affiliated with a non-profit, you should be able to get the 6-in-1s at Restaurant Depot on Irving Blvd. in Dallas. I called them and they carry the 6-in-1s in the #10 can. They don't sell to the public in general. If you are interested, I would call to check on the availability of the 6-in-1s before going to their location. Their website is at restaurantdepot.com.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »
DFW PizzaMan,

If you are the same DFW PizzaMan who posts at the PMQ Think Tank and have a business license, or are affiliated with a non-profit, you should be able to get the 6-in-1s at Restaurant Depot on Irving Blvd. in Dallas. I called them and they carry the 6-in-1s in the #10 can. They don't sell to the public in general. If you are interested, I would call to check on the availability of the 6-in-1s before going to their location. Their website is at restaurantdepot.com.

Peter

I am one in the same.  However, I have some issues with the Restaurant Depot, (long story probably not suited for this forum) so I don't use them.

This is a homemade project I am working on anyway, so I really don't want to buy more than one or two small cans.  Out of curiosity, is there a place/kind of cheese you buy around here?

I'm trying to play with different recipes for my store and I'm trying to use different products.

By the way Whole Foods in Arlington didn't have 6-1 either.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:09:41 PM »
DFW PizzaMan,

Pretty much everything I know about sources of decent pizza ingredients in the Dallas area is recited in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2629.msg22743.html#msg22743. My favorite place is Jimmy's. I am not a member of Costco's or Sam's, but some of our members are able to find good cheeses there, and really cheap yeast (mainly IDY). Central Market has a good cheese selection, but CM is pricey.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
If you've read all my posts on PMQ, you may remember that I am from Chicago.  I've never actually owned a pizza place in Chicgao though so I don't have good recipes for that.

I am thinking of bringing real Chicago pizza to DFW, annd trust me when I say it does not exist currently.  Sweet Home Chicago (I saw you mention them in some post on this board back in the day), Wo-Max, That Chicago Place, and the others are just some bad imitation.  Chicago's Finest up in Plano is a solid representation, (if you don't know their history, they were formerly a Rosati's but still use the same recipes and Rosati's is a minor chain in Chicago), but in Chicago they are just another place.  I don't know one person who considers them to be among their favorites.

So I am going to work on my recipes and open up another place.  I think I already have a location picked out up in Southlake.  The place I have now is just your run of the mill pizza place.  Nothing special, better than most around here, but I wouldn't even dream of trying to serve this in Chicago.  I want to go back to my roots though.

I'll let you know when I get it opened, you can come by and check it out.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »
DFW PizzaMan,

I made a trip into Dallas this morning to replenish some of my pizza supplies. You might be interested in knowing that Jimmy's started carrying the #10 can of 6-in-1s since I was last there. I bought a can, at $4.99. While in Dallas, I also checked the canned tomato sections at Whole Foods, Central Market and a Kroger's Signature store. Nothing much has changed. Their selections are the basic ones that home cooks use. The trend I have noticed in canned tomato departments is the move toward organics. It used to be Muir Glen but now the standard names are also into organics.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I went to Jimmy's today and somehow I missed that.  I must be blind.

That is a good store.  I am excited because they have some Chicago stuff in the deli.  I bought some Vienna Hot Dogs and I saw they had italian beef.  I'll be back for that.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 08:07:24 PM »
DFW PizzaMan,

It looks like they make some pretty good sandwiches, and when I was there I saw several people seated at the few tables having lunch. I also noticed for the first time a handwritten sign on one of the beer refrigerator doors that says that they will now sell single bottles of beer to their patrons who buy sandwiches. The price is $1.85 per bottle, plus tax. I don't know if the beer choices are limited but the idea sounded good to me.

It seems like they have just about everything you will need to play around with to make the Chicago deep-dish. They don't sell the flour but you can get that almost anywhere. Have you settled on a dough formulation yet, or pizza sizes? Is there a particular Chicago product you are trying to emulate? There is a lot of stuff on the forum on the Chicago style. Also, in a while (maybe a week or two), a new deep-dish dough calculating tool should be up on the forum that allows you to determine the quantities of ingredients to use to make dough for any size deep-dish pie, using different pan shapes (e.g., stacked or nesting). That tool might be useful to you in making your test doughs. The tool is based on baker's percents and thickness factors and the like, along the lines that Tom Lehmann covers at the PMQTT.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 10:29:45 AM »
I think I found my dough recipe.  The pizza I cooked last night was possibly the best deep dish I have ever had.  It was certainly in the top few.  I used Muir Glen sauce yesterday, I thought it was ok, but I like others more.  I have ordered the 6-in-1, we'll see if I like that better.  I'm almost there on my deep dish.  My only real problem at this point was the cost.  If I were to have wholesaled everything, my food costs % would still be very high

I still have a little work to do to perfect my thin crust though.  A lot of work actually.

By the way, Jimmy's has some phenomenal sausage.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »
DFW PizzaMan,

Hmmm...Is the recipe for a Papa Del's, Aurelio's, a stuffed Nancy's, or Giordano's? ;). But definitely not Malnati's ???.

BTW, you might want to take a look at a version of the Papa Del's dough recipe at the Recipe section of the forum at http://www.pizzamaking.com/papadels.php. Do you know offhand how deep the Papa Del's pans are?

I find the Jimmy's sausage to have a bit more fennel than I personally like but, as I reported at another thread, Fireside Pies in Dallas uses Jimmy's spicy sausage, at least according to its menu at http://firesidepies.com/images/Menu.pdf.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
Loaded with Fennel is kind of the Chicago way of making sausage though, so if I am going to have a Chicago style place, I should have Chicago style Sausage.

I'm actually kind of torn on if I would use sausage similar to that though.  People in DFW simply do not appreciate sausage like they do in Chicago.  I only know of maybe 5 places in this entire area that does not use that pre-cooked garbage.  Outside of chains, I don't know 5 places in Chicago that does not use raw sausage.

So I'm not sure that the costs of good sausage would justify it's use here. 

I have seen the Papa Del's recipe on this site, and it is not a match.  I am going there next weekend, I'll determine the size pan they use. 

The deep dish there though I don't think is their best product.  They make the best thin crust pizza I have ever had.  The deep dish is still in the top 5 or so.

As for my recipe - it is definitely not a Malnati's as I HATE that place.  While I love Nancy's stuffed, I think it simply too much pizza to sell down here (that would go for Giordano's as well).  My recipe is similar in thickness to Malnati's, but moreso trying to replicate the Giordano's taste.   

pizzapan