Author Topic: Bought a scale and made some real pies.....  (Read 4575 times)

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
Re: Bought a scale and made some real pies.....
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 12:12:42 PM »

Peter,

You stated...
The Balancer high-gluten flour you are looking to buy should work in your dough formulation. My main reservation about the flour, which is strictly a personal one and not shared by all, is that the Balancer flour is a bromated flour. I don't believe that the Balancer flour comes in a nonbromated version. If bromated flour is a concern, you might ask the source you have been speaking with whether they offer a nonbromated high-gluten flour. As you may know, the KASL flour and also the King Arthur bread flour you have been using are nonbromated. You didn't indicate where you live, but there may be a foodservice company or wholesaler near you who may be willing to sell the KASL or some other equivalent brand.

I'm no chemist but this would be Potassium Bromate correct? Is this not found naturally in sea water, albeit small amounts and when dried is found in Sea Salt? I also thought that it was used in Cola products. Maybe November can jump in and give us the scoop......Nudge, Nudge......Wink, Wink   ;)
Hmmmmm......It would also seem that this wholesaler I talked to sells a lot of this flour.

Ok, I'll try 50# of the stuff and if I die, I won't use it again.    ???

Well, if it's not good for you in any amount, then I probably shouldn't use it but that sucks because I could not find anyone that would sell me flour in bulk, locally. It didn't matter if it was King Arthur, Gold Medal or Pillsbury. I tried to get All Trumps, KASL and the like but to no avail.

By the way, I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. Shipping flour seems way to spendy, so I tried to find out what wholesalers in my area dealt in and then if they would sell some to me on a permanent basis. I talked to Pizzerias and Bakeries till I got sick of hearing no. Out of the blue, I left a VM for a guy at Gold Medal and he called me to see if I made my own pizzas. He was just stating out as was I and low and behold he gave me the number of someone he sold bulk flour too and told me to use his name. I talked to the guy and he said that he would sell me what I wanted and said that he carried a high protien flour called Balancer, that he sold to a lot of Pizzerias and Bakeries. Maybe, just maybe, he has others.

Have a good weekend,

Vince
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »

No, Potassium bromate is not found naturally in sea water.  You are thinking of Potassium bromide.  It is also not used in cola products, although there are some beverages out there (I just talked about one recently) that contain brominated vegetable oil.  This is not quite as bad a Potassium bromate, but it still falls under similar scrutiny.  You may be thinking of Dasani, which is owned by Coca Cola.  Dasani is a bottled water that was recalled in the UK because of the detection of bromate in it.

- red.november

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 04:48:11 PM »
By the way, I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. Shipping flour seems way to spendy, so I tried to find out what wholesalers in my area dealt in and then if they would sell some to me on a permanent basis. I talked to Pizzerias and Bakeries till I got sick of hearing no. Out of the blue, I left a VM for a guy at Gold Medal and he called me to see if I made my own pizzas. He was just stating out as was I and low and behold he gave me the number of someone he sold bulk flour too and told me to use his name. I talked to the guy and he said that he would sell me what I wanted and said that he carried a high protien flour called Balancer, that he sold to a lot of Pizzerias and Bakeries. Maybe, just maybe, he has others.

Vince

2112, If you have a Costco near you and know some one who's a member you can get Con Agra bread flour there for about $10.00 for a 50lb sack. That's what it sells for at Costco here in PA. HTH, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.