Author Topic: Empire Whole Milk Mozz  (Read 2235 times)

Offline mjkelly93

Empire Whole Milk Mozz
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
What are peoples experience with Empire whole milk block? I understand it isnt available throughout the whole country. Im in PA so its readily available here and in my neck of the woods.

I dont think its too bad but i havent tried cheese like polly-o and grande or anything like that.

Anyone buying from a food broker/wholesaler, what are you guys paying for empire or just mozz in general?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Empire Whole Milk Mozz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
Empire is some of the least expensive, and highest quality processed (not in water or fresh) pizza cheese that I can find in the Boston area.  Even the part skim (which is used at our two most famous pizzerias) is really tasty.  It burns faster than grande, but I prefer the flavor.  Still you might prefer the poly-o or grande, so you should try them all.  Definitely rest assured, though, that this is a high quality product.

$1.90 a lb is the cheapest I have seen it, but in Boston cheese prices are very high when compared to the rest of the country.  In our area grande is about $3 a lb, so you can see why our largest cheese customers prefer the Empire.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »
Damn.  At a local restaurant supply house, I asked them if they could get Grande cheese.  They said no problem and then called me a week later to tell me it was in.  When I went in, they handed me a 7lb block of Empire cheese.  I showed them where I'd specified "Grande", so they took it back.  With no other options, I bought a 10lb block of Sorrento at BJ's.  Too bad - the Empire was a great price.
--pat--

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:24:19 AM »
you did the right thing, sorrento is quite good.  I think I prefer it to the Empire.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:13:39 PM »
have any of you compared grande, cremosa, empire, and dragone against all the "grocery store" cheeses? I personally find Pollyo, and sorrento to be substandard. On the other hand Maggio (made by crowley dairies) is quite nice, but I have never had Empire or Cremosa

pizzapan