Author Topic: is there a concensus on a screen vs. greased pan for DKM thin? par-bake?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

As someone else said, I get inconsistent results on my thin crusts too.
I don't get to spend a lot of time online, and as I try to dive into threads I get confused by how many references are made to the DKM thin but use a screen instead of oiled pan as he suggests in the posted recipe, he does not par-bake but most seem to...
Is there a concensus out there on best approach?
Seems to me to get a crisp crsut throughout the oiled pan would serve better.
IS anyone brushing the crust with oil and then using a screen?  That was going to be my next try this weekend...

thanks all !!

YOLT

Offline buzz

I don't use the DKM crust recipe. But for thin crust I par-bake on a flat, thin sheet pan just to set the dough. Then I top it and move it to the oven rack with no pan or screen. Usually I start on the lower rack, covering the top of the pizza with foil (to cook the bottom first), then move it to the upper rack, uncovered, where the top cooks very quickly (450).

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
I use a pre-heated pizza stone, but in my long experience with thin crust pizzas, I just can't get the crust done enough without par-baking for 3-5 minutes no matter what recipe or temperature I use.

My technique is a combination of rolling and pressing the dough on to a lightly floured board, and then rather than deal with a tricky peel transfer, I quickly fold the dough into quarter size (fold one way then the other), pick it up, put it on the hot stone (which I just removed from the oven with the peel), unfold it, shape the edges, dock it with a fork and use the peel to put the stone back in the oven. 3-5 minutes on 500 and I removes the pizza (sans stone), press down any bubbles, apply sauce, topping and cheese and then back into the oven for 7-10 minutes, usually a little lower temp (450).

Offline BTB

The thin cracker crust pizza is an area that I, too, need to experiment more with.  I've only done it once to date -- following DKM's recipe -- and I used a pizza screen after par baking for 4 or 5 minutes (which I think was too long a time).  It was fairly good, but not to the degree that I would like, however.  I need to work on dough development more.  Here are some pictures of my first attempt.     --BTB

Pizza screen.

Offline BTB

Flattened dough on the screen.

Offline BTB

Dressed with sauce and cheese (and afterwards added sausage).

Offline BTB

This is the pizza after cooking on lower rank at 450 for about 10 or 11 minutes.

Offline BTB

And a few remaining slices.  Next time I will try an oiled pan to see how that works out.  --BTB

Offline Musky

It looks good, though, BTB.  I like the big chunks of sausage near the bottom of the picture.  I assume that's my side of the pizza?  I've had my best success on a screen with a short par bake to start, but like with your pie, though they look good, they're not quite what I want.  Only one of five I tried would I say was very good.

Then I go back and make a deep dish.  Thanks to Loowaters I can nail those every time.   ;D

Kevin

Slather and rub.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:53:32 PM by Musky »

pizzapan