Author Topic: Cost of wood-fired ovens?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline othafa9

Cost of wood-fired ovens?
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
approximately what is the cost of a high quality wood-fired oven as well as maintaining it?  What can you expect to spend on wood? thanks.....

Offline shango

Re: Cost of wood-fired ovens?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
I think you would expect to spend at least $10,000 on the oven..

I was once quoted $30,000  :o

Maintenence would be minimal, maybe just replacing a tile here and there..

Wood depends on the price of wood in your area, what kind of wood you are burning, how efficient  the oven is, who you buy the wood from, delivery fees?, and how many hours a day you are burning.

hope that helps a little.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline edj9

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »
Hi - Been doing a lot of research lately, and am visiting a vendor this Friday.
I have found for wood burning ovens kits start ~2K and go up to 4K. For assembled kits,
the price doubles or triples.  These are very basic, old school type construction.
Cadillac ovens with gas and computer control can go for 15 to 20K.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »
I wondered in a previous post what oven designs were most appropriate for a baking
ratio of 75/25 pizza to bread. It seems that an oven like this below could save the
builder substantial $$$ at the sacrifice of time and labour, but I think it would be a
rewarding build. I am not sure if this style is suited for pizza baking, but how bad could
it be?

From what I have read so far a low, round dome oven seems difficult is not impossible
to construct manually - hence the kits sold everywhere. Thoughts?

http://www.considine.net/mac/brickoven/

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
You can also build your own and come out with an excellent result for little money ($500 or thereabouts depending on how fancy you want to get.) I built my own and am extremely happy with the results.

An excellent resource is the Forno Bravo forum http://www.fornobravo.com/forum

They also have a very detailed pdf book here http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Instruction-Manuals-e-Books-p-1-c-260.html

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »
Wow - that doesn't look too bad. Thanks for the link, I think we shall build a Pompeii oven - its perfect.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:29:22 AM »
Wow - that doesn't look too bad. Thanks for the link, I think we shall build a Pompeii oven - its perfect.

It's a freaking BLAST building it, too.  Listen to Kiwi Pete - he's a genius in fabricating chimney manifolds.   His oven is  beautiful and I tried to emulate it.

You can check out my oven at Forno Bravo. One word of advice: Don't waste your time with perlite/concrete mixture.  Use Unifrax insulation or the stuff that Forno Bravo sells.

I spent about $3K building mine, but fully $1K is in the copper roof.  Still, if I had to do it again, I'd be able to do it for about $1500 I think.

Have fun!

Cheers,

- Fio

P.S. buy a brick saw.  You'll need it!
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan