Author Topic: Williams Sonoma Grill-Top Pizza Stone  (Read 5365 times)

Offline BigMike

• Eat, Drink and Be Merry
    • The Hungry New Englander
Williams Sonoma Grill-Top Pizza Stone
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »
With the warmer weather approaching in our Nations capital, I was hoping to start grilling my pizzas outside on my weber gas grill.  I have read numerous posts about grilling pizzas, but saw this online today and figured I would ask if anyone has tried it. 

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku6899405/index.cfm?pkey=cOUTGACI

Williams Sonoma Grill-Top Pizza Stone
Turn your outdoor grill into a backyard pizza oven with this stone specially designed for the task. It uses the high heat of the grill to produce brick oven–style pizza with a crisp crust and bubbly-hot toppings. Made specifically for gas grills, the porous clay stone sits within a raised stainless-steel frame. A backsplash keeps toppings contained; the attached thermometer allows you to precisely track grill temperatures. Recipes included. 16 1/4" x 13 3/4".

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Williams Sonoma Grill-Top Pizza Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:22:35 PM »
BigMike,

From what I have read, the product carried by Williams-Sonoma is manufactured by VillaWare. VillaWare calls it PizzaGrill. I posted on the PizzaGrill about 2 1/2 years ago when it was made by another company that was subsequently acquired by VillaWare. I asked basically the same question as you, but got no replies.

There are many places that carry the PizzaGrill although I noticed that the dimensions typically given (12" x 14" x 5") are not the same as the Williams-Sonoma dimensions you quoted (16 1/4" x 13 3/4"). So, if the product interests you, you may want to confirm the dimensions since it is possible that the product is a special one manufactured just for Williams-Sonoma. Otherwise you are likely to find the product at a lower price elsewhere, and possibly with free shipping. See, for example, the unit offered here: http://www.americasfavoritefood.com/3-284507-B000ATUP5G-VillaWare_Stainless_Steel_Pizza_Grill.html. Note that the dimensions given at that site are different yet than the other ones mentioned. So I would want to confirm the actual dimensions of the unit you are considering to be absolutely sure of what you would be getting. The same or similar unit is also selling at the moment on eBay.

Peter

Offline BigMike

• Eat, Drink and Be Merry
    • The Hungry New Englander
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »
Thanks Peter.  I had no doubt that you would have encountered this before.  I am pleasantly suprised to see the PizzaGrill for quite a bit less.  I had a WS Gift certificicate, but might as well use it on something else given the price differential. 

Should I purchase the gas grill-top, I will be sure to take some pictures and post them here.  I am still very intrigued to see how well the pizzas come out.  I am sure that once it gets a little hotter here in DC, I wont want to fire my old oven up to 550 and heat the whole kitchen!   Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Offline Rubino

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 05:24:47 PM »
I just had a stone made to order from a place that produces fire bricks and whatnot. Stone was poured and cast to my specs (16 inches wide, 1 inch thick). I'll use it on a Big Green Egg (just brought it home today, so I haven't messed with it yet). Cost was $50. I figured the price is worth it because 1) I've been through several cheap store-bought stones that have cracked at high temps and 2) it's half as much as the stone from Williams-Sonoma. The guy who made it said it will withstand temps up to 3,000 degrees. I don't think the BGE will get that hot, though.  ;D

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:39 PM »
i think this thing is a waste of money.  buy a pizza stone and a couple of fire bricks for 70 cents each to raise it off the grates.

either way, using a stone on a gas grill is tricky business.  in my experience, the stone gets very hot, which is good, but the grill doesn't hold any heat in, especially after you open it.  you'll have pizza that is burned on the bottom and raw on the top.

i screwed around for a while and came up with a solution described here.

The goal was to hold heat in the very hot gas grill.  It was relatively successful, and cost a lot less than 99 dollars. 

i'd be interested in hearing success stories with this thing though. 

Offline LPcreation

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:40:54 PM »
Bump :)

I experimented the last 2 weekends on the grill and I got good/bad results.

Good:
By far the best pizza I made.  By the 3rd pizza I was getting really good....crust had just the right amount of charing and the top was just starting to bubble and brown.  Couldn't have been happier.  My standard Weber gas grill had a temp reading around 750 degrees.

Bad:
My stone broke.  I heard a pop after about an hour and half but figured it was just the grill expanding or whatever from high heat for so long (it was a new grill).  Well after the party I let the grill and stone cool down and that's when I realized it was broke.  I'm still not sure if my stone broke from the high heat, or from shutting the grill off and the stone cooling too quickly.

The set-up.
1. Aluminum foil shiny side down on grates.
2. Big cast iron skillet, sitting normally (like you would actually cook in it)
3. Pizza stone on top of skillet.

Technique.
1. make pizza
2. have pizza assistant open the grilll just enough to slide pizza on stone from peel
3. Cook for 3-4 minutes and remove

The key was a quick transfer and letting the stone heat for at least 20 minutes IMO.

I personally like Tommy's setup and might try it myself but I have 1 thing that is preventing me from doing it.  I don't want to keep breaking stones everytime I do it.....it would get expensive.  I like Rubino's idea to have a specialty stone made but I don't think I have anywhere around me that would do that.  Could I use stones people use in brick ovens to cook on?

I was originally going to build a brick oven but I got such good results with the grill the oven project will be delayed, possibly indefinately.

So does anyone have ideas for something other than a stone to cook (or quarry tiles, as I'd assume they'd break easily too)?

Offline Art

• la pizza č la mia vita!!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »
.................................So does anyone have ideas for something other than a stone to cook (or quarry tiles, as I'd assume they'd break easily too)?

A tad expensive (price includes shipping), but I've been really satisfied with my oven version.
http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:22:53 AM »
So does anyone have ideas for something other than a stone to cook (or quarry tiles, as I'd assume they'd break easily too)?

I would try another brand of stone, every different brand is manufactured a bit differently and some hold up better than others.  I have an Old Stone Oven stone and it has withstood many pizzas on the fiery hot grill and is still going strong.

Scott