Author Topic: Canadian pizza enthusiasts...what tomatoes do you use?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline DWChun

Canadian pizza enthusiasts...what tomatoes do you use?
« on: April 01, 2007, 04:41:21 PM »
Hello!

My fellow Canadians...I'm currently living in a smaller province in the maritimes and my access to canned tomatoes is limited. I used Unico canned tomatoes in the beginning for my sauce but the "purest" offering they have is a "no salt added" canned product. However, it still has citric acid, which gives the tomatoes a harsh flavour. I have found Eden Foods organic canned tomatoes that do not add salt or citric acid. It is quite a change from the other typical canned tomatoes. The flavour is bright and clean. I taste tomato and nothing else in it! The ingredient list is simply "Organic Roma tomatoes". It is more expensive than the other canned tomatoes in my local supermarkets but well worth the price. The way I look at it is that I'd rather pay $3.00 for a can of good tasting tomatoes than $1.00 for a can of bad tasting(in my opinion) tomatoes. I'm quite pleased with how the tomatoes taste on my pizzas and while I'm happy, I'd like to know of any other canned tomato options available in the Canadian market.

So what brands do you folks use? Do you know of any Canadian producers of quality canned tomatoes? Do you import? I've read a lot about the Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes and I'd love to get my hands on a can some day to try out.

I'll be moving to Toronto later this year to return to school so I'm sure I'll be discovering more tomato products once I get to the local markets. I can't wait to explore the Italian markets!

Offline mzshan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Canadian pizza enthusiasts...what tomatoes do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:41:04 PM »
Let me know when you are in toronto...

I my self am on the search for pizza products it would help having someone on a similar quest... I am an avid fan of NY style pizza and very dissapointed that caliber of pizza is yet to found on streets of toronto.. Lately I am staying away from all the pizza chains (PizzaPizza,Gino's,Pizzaville,Dominos etc...) and trying what Local pizzaria's have to offer and I must say I am not impressed by most.. how ever I have came across some that seem to deliver some quality....

I am trying to make pizza's at home soon just waiting for some equipment.. and product which i am searching for..
as i said let me know when ur in town may be we could find a thing or two.

shan

Offline DWChun

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »
I sure will, Shan! It's good to hear from another Canadian in a similar quest for pizza.

I, like many other North Americans, grew up with pizza chain pizzas and I have fond memories of Pizza Pizza from my childhood(I'm from the Maritimes but my relatives on my father's side, who I visited often, reside in Toronto and surrounding cities.). I also spent a year in Oakville for college where I became acquainted with Gino's. I don't mind such pizzas but there's no comparison in my opinion to pizza made in a non-big chain/non-mass produced manner so I'm on the path of home made/artisanal pizzas. I'm a food enthusiast and I cook everything for myself. Pizza was the first true challenge to a home cook such as myself. In fact, baking in general is of great interest for me.

I can't wait to return to Toronto and until then, my canned tomatoes of choice will be the Eden Foods product. It's what I'd recommend to anyone in Canada who can't get access to really good canned tomatoes. Now I have to work on the rest of my toppings!

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »
If you have an A+P or Dominion close by that makes pizza instore they also sell Stanislaus pizzaletto sauce for $9.99 /can.
Aaron

Offline DWChun

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:35:40 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for the tip, Aaron.

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 05:54:53 PM »
If you have an A+P or Dominion close by that makes pizza instore they also sell Stanislaus pizzaletto sauce for $9.99 /can.
Aaron

cost me $14.50 / can today at A&P!
Ryan