Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting into the business and i'm looking for advice.  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Hawkeye

I have my concept in mind.  I want to open a New York style or Neapolitan style pizzeria.  My idea is to do one thing and do it the best in town.  I want to keep everything simple, fresh and clean.  You wonít come to my place for the buffalo wings or the buy one get one free pizza.  I wonít do delivery and I havenít decided yet on carryout.  It wonít be the cheapest pie but when somebody asks who has the best pizza in town I want people to say my place does. 
I will have a very limited menu.  Iíll have a couple of salads and bread for appetizers, brick oven pizza and calzones and a couple of fresh deserts.  Iíll serve wine and beer but not mixed drinks. I want to open a small pizzeria with seating for around 50 guests.  The brick oven will be the focal point of the restaurant.  Iíll use the finest ingredients and I wonít cut corners.  I live in a large Midwestern city that has very few independent pizza places.

Iím just starting to get serious about this.  Iíve read a couple of books, read websites for hours and made a few pizzas.  Iíve been to NYC and Italy in the past year and that is what inspired me.  I also just started working at a local independent pizzeria (different concept and 25 miles away from where Iím looking) to try and learn the business.
I know and understand the failure rates of new restaurants.  Iíd like some feedback on my concept and some suggestions on what else I should do to make this happen.  Thanks!

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: I'm thinking of getting into the business and i'm looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
In my humble opinion, if your goal is to be the best, you will be successful.  I am a strong believer in being specific in your offerings.  Often, less is more.  You can't be all things to all people.  When you try o be all things to all people, you run the risk of becoming nothing special to anyone.  Do one thing and do it better than anyone esle.
However, the more specific your offerings, the more population you need to support your business.  In Manhattan, there is a pickle store.  They only sell pickles and they sell a lot of them.  This concept works in NY, but I wouldn't advise opening a pickle store in a smaller city. 
If your city is big enough to support a small, specific menu, go for it.  If are the best and put your heart into your business, people will come.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:42:32 AM »
http://www.pmq.com/index.shtml

run the numbers - make certain the population can support your concept at your projected cost. Make
darn sure you make THE best (but remain humble) develop a brilliant marketing campaign, prepare for long hours or have a managment strategy in place, have fun and you should be a huge success. ;D

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:11:15 AM »
I am a strong believer in being specific in your offerings.  Often, less is more.  You can't be all things to all people.  When you try o be all things to all people, you run the risk of becoming nothing special to anyone.  Do one thing and do it better than anyone Else.

Its amazing Tom, such a simple concept...do one thing, and do it well.  Yet it is always overlooked.  People believe that if they can cater to the masses, that they will be successful and make money, yet the product is mediocre at best.  Or they have a great concept, great product, but wrong location to market it.  I replied to a gentleman yesterday that wants to sell high class French pastries AND pizza in the same location.  People that buy French pastries don't necessarily chow down on a slice of "za" at their mahogany dinner table.  They scratch their heads and wonder what happened, or they spew the failure rate to make themselves feel better, that the odds were against them.  Good advice Tom!  Adam
Adam

Offline humpty99

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
Reading this was like reading exactly what I would have posted if I did it.  Same concept in mind.  Same menu.  Same drinks.  Midwest city.  The whole thing.  Where are you? 

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:03:34 AM »
Hello
I have spent a good part of my life living that dream. I have been an independent pizza man opening shops along the way from coast to coast.

I have thwarted all of the conventional wisdom and have never had a shop fail. The trick to success is in being the exception to the rule. My recipies have a 90% rate of return. 90% of people who eat my pie become regular customers.
I have raised my family on that fact.

If you want to know the real poop on doing a non franchise independent artisan, pizza then contact me through my website. homespunpizza.com and we can dialog. Pizza is not a concept to me it is a life reality.  Bubba
Share a piece with a friend!