Author Topic: Caramelized Onion Focaccia  (Read 5720 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Caramelized Onion Focaccia
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »
Caramelized Onion Focaccia  ;D

Made with my standard NY dough, with a 24 hour biga, but much more wet (don't know hydration level, I have that artsey feely disease).

Finely minced a medium onion and carmelized bits. Added caramelized bits to dough during need. Rizen twice at room temp. Baked directly on stone on parchment paper for 25 minutes at 425.

The taste is fantastic, the caramelized onion flavors the entire dough, taste kind of reminds you of a REAL NY onion bagel.  :D

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Caramelized Onion Focaccia
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:44:16 AM »
Another Pic  :P

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »
Hi JerryMac,

what is a "biga" ? ... you got me scratching my head, I can't figure out what that means.

The focaccia is really good looking.  You did a great job with it.  In fact it looks good enough to eat !  :D

Great looking product, I think I may have to try this one day, it would be good with a nice summer salad.

P.S. - did you happen to take an image of this before you baked it ? ( just curious how much it poofed up in the oven )

Made with my standard NY dough, with a 24 hour biga,
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:30:00 AM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:34:05 AM »
what is a "biga" ? ... you got me scratching my head, I can't figure out what that means.

Jerry,

Very nice job.

Mark,

You may want to take a look at the Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#B. The definition in the Glossary is pretty much the standard one. Over time, the term "biga" has been so bastardized that it has become almost synonymous with "preferment" than a specific process. Usually, a classic biga is made using flour, water and commercial yeast (there is also such a thing as a "natural" biga) with a hydration of around 50-55%, which means a stiff dough. It uses a fixed amount of commercial yeast (around 0.25-0.33% on an IDY basis), and is held at around 60 F for about 18 hours.  Knowing Jerry's propensity to be a stickler for the technical aspects of pizza dough making, I am guessing that is how he made his "biga" :-D.

Peter

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »
Hi Peter,

Well that explains that  :D, very interesting term, I have never heard it before.  I don't even think
I've read it before on the forum, but then again I don't read every single post ( you could spend your whole day
just reading posts couldn't you, that just shows you how big this forum is now )

Interesting stuff, thanks for the classroom tutorial ! you are indeed a great teacher !

Mark

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline DWChun

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:02:29 PM »
That's one tasty looking focaccia, Jerry!

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for respecting all the technical aspects of my dough making, I don't understand how anyone can get along without weights, volumes and perctntages  :D  ;D  >:D

Mangia Bene
Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:11:15 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments on the bread  ;D  I like to think that Focaccia is one of the few things in life that I have pretty much down pat  ;)

Make your standard focaccia and throw in a minced carmelized onion  :-D Abastanza Bene  :)

Mangia Bene,
Jerry

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »
Jerry,

Beautiful bread - motivated me to try this today. Mine was very soft and light but with enough texture make sandwiches. The flavor of the caramelized onion was perfect. Big thanks!

Bill/SFNM

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:07:02 PM »
Bill,

Great Lookin Bread  :D Glad you liked the taste  ;D If you like Onions, you can't beat this one  :P

Funny thing is, I can't remember where I got the idea from, I've been dooin it soooo long  :(

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline trohrs123

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »
Hey
Great looking bread!!!
Was wondering if there is a recipe with the ingredients and procedures somewhere on the site? ???
Would love to try it
Tim