Author Topic: Making some more pizza  (Read 5689 times)

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
Making some more pizza
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:39:02 PM »
I'm making some more pizza to be cooked Sunday night.  This is a 70% hydration recipe using the Lehmann calculator and VWG.  I used 10g of VWG per dough ball.  Each dough ball is ~551g for a 15" pizza at .11 TF
Here are some pictures of the process for making the dough:
Ryan

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Making some more pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:44:24 PM »
The last picture of the previous post is 3/4 of the the flour/VWG mixed with all the water, salt and sugar.  The water I used for this recipe is water from the Brita in my fridge.  This is now ready for a 30 minute rest period.  Here are the pictures after the rest period.  The first picture is right after the rest period and the second picture is after adding the rest of the flour kneading it for 2 minutes.  The last picture is the dough formed into a ball and coated with Canola oil.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:25:55 PM by turbosundance »
Ryan

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »
I'll have pictures of the cooked pizza tomorrow.  I am making 4 pizzas in total.
Ryan

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:27:50 PM »
Pictures!  The only pizza I got a picture of before it was devoured was the one that got a little folded over on the stone
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:32:55 PM by turbosundance »
Ryan

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »
Yo! turbo, that's some mighty fine looking pizza.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:38:46 AM »
Great looking pie there Turbo, I'm envious - I really like the crust browning and the nicely melted cheese-
something I don't have good luck with most of the time.
 A few questions :
                How much cheese and sauce did you use ?
                Cooking details- temp, time , on tiles, stone or screen ?

Will give your recipe a try this coming weekend - thanks for  posting it.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »
turbosundance,

Can you tell us which brands of flour and VWG you used this time? It may turn out that ZekeTheCat may not have exactly the same brands, which will most likely change the amount of VWG he will need in his case. Since you said that you coated your dough ball with canola oil, I assume that you used the same oil in the dough. Finally, what type of salt are you using and, if Kosher, which brand?

Peter
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:07:07 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 02:17:28 PM »
The pizza is cooked on a cheap 15" pizza stone on the lowest rack of a modern digital gas oven set at 550 degrees F.  See here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4904.0.html for some details on the last pizza I made.   The cheese is Saputto part skim mozzarella.  This cheese is a bit salty for my liking but browns nicely.

The flour used for this recipe was Five Roses supplemented with Bob's Redmill VWG.  The oil in the dough is Bertolli extra light olive oil and the dough balls are coated with cheap Canola oil before going in the fridge.  A generous amount of oil is used in the dough containers as well (~ 1 tablespoon including what is used to coat the balls).

The salt is Windsor "Coarse Kosher Salt"

As for amount of sauce and cheese I don't have any measurements but for the 4 pizzas I used 2 pounds of cheese and a little less than half of a 28oz can of sauce is left.  I used the sauce recipe I posted here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4907.0.html
This sauced used many of the ideas posted by November here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136

I think I'm going to go with a thinner thickness factor next time.  After the first pizza ended up having a huge crust I pressed down the dough on the other three before topping so they wouldn't rise too much.  I realized that up until now I've been making dough for a 14" pizza then stretching it out to 15" so it ended up being thinner than a .11 TF
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 05:16:20 PM by turbosundance »
Ryan

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 03:40:06 PM »
turbosundance,

Thanks for the additional information.

Using Novemberís Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/, I established that the total protein content for your blend of Five Roses flour and Bobís Red Mill VWG is 14.9885%. So, if ZekeTheCat uses a different flour and/or a different brand of VWG, he might want to use Novemberís tool to determine the amounts of flour and VWG he will need in his case to approximate your flour/VWG blend. His blend wonít be exactly like yours but should be close enough for purposes of replicating your dough formulation. For purposes of using the tool, the target mass would be 311.79 grams and the target percent would be 14.9885%. The flour and VWG would be selected from the pull-down menus. If a particular chosen flour isnít on the menu, selecting the closest flour should be good enough. The results will appear in the MassA and MassB boxes.

I also took the liberty of converting your dough formulation to a somewhat different format to carve out the VWG as a separate ingredient with its own bakerís percent. Since the Windsor coarse Kosher salt is a Canadian product, I substituted the Mortonís coarse Kosher salt which is readily available in the U.S. Making the changes altered the bakerís percents of the different ingredients (other than for the flour) but the quantities (weights) remain the same. Incorporating the other information you provided, this is what I got:

Flour (100%):
Water (72.3185%):
IDY (1.03383%):
Salt (1.8092%):
Olive Oil (2.06766%):
Sugar (2.06766%):
Vital Wheat Gluten (3.31356%):
Total (182.61041%):
301.78 g  |  10.64 oz | 0.67 lbs
218.24 g  |  7.7 oz | 0.48 lbs
3.12 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.04 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
5.46 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.14 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
6.24 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.39 tsp | 0.46 tbsp
6.24 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.57 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 3.61 tsp | 1.2 tbsp
551.08 g | 19.44 oz | 1.21 lbs | TF = N/A

The above formulation essentially represents a ďsnapshotĒ of your particular dough formulation as it now stands. If one were interested in using more or less VWG, then the recommended advice would be to add or subtract water from the formula amount to compensate for the change in the amount of VWG. Doing that would change the percent of water. FYI, your VWG quantity by volume will be a bit more than noted in the above formulation. I was using an experimental dough calculator and the conversion data used by the calculator is an average of three of the most popular brands of VWG available in the U.S., including Bobís Red Mill brand.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:26:35 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »
I finally found some Stanislaus sauce today (for $15.00 for 100oz) so I hope to make a much better sauce for my next pizzas.  It is the Pizza Sauce with basil and olive oil added.  I hope it makes a really good sauce.  I always find my sauce made with crushed tomatoes seperates after a day in the fridge and I end up with chunks of tomato swimming in clear liquid.  It still tastes good but the sauce ends up being way too thick and dry on the pizza IMO. 

Even though the hydration is very high for this dough it is very managable when it comes time to shape the dough into a skin.  The only problem I have is making the dough thickness uniform on each pizza because it stretches so easily.  Sometimes I get spots that are so thin you can almost see through them with other spots on the same pizza way too thick.  It still tastes good but it doesn't look professional.  I'll be cooking about a dozen pizzas next month for 10 or so guests and I need my pizzas to look as professional as possible.  Any tips?
Ryan

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:55:37 AM »
Lately I have been getting away from using the VWG and I have purchased a 50lb bag of high gluten flour from a local wholesaler.  I have also been purchasing 100oz can of Stanislaus Full Red.  I find the sauce is leaps and bounds better than what I had been using previously but I still haven't ironed out the the new dough recipe though.  I haven't made any pizza recently due to the heat outside and not wanting to turn the oven on but this weekend I'll be making 4 15" pizzas.  I'm still not sure if I want to continue with my experiments with the commercial flour or stick with my VWG / All purpose recipe.  We'll see. 

As for my commercial flour experiments I find that I cannot use the 70% hydration recipe anymore.  I cant go much beyond 63% with the commercial flour.  I the key to my high hydration recipe above is the VWG - but I find that the VWG makes my dough too stiff. 

Has anyone tried this VWG recipe for themselves?  I have recently tried to make this pizza at a friends house using his Electric oven and I found that I couldn't get the stone hot enough to cook the pizza through.  I always ended up with undercooked crust that was soft and chewy on the bottom. 
Ryan