Author Topic: Garcia's Pizza  (Read 104941 times)

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
Re: Garcia's Pizza
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2014, 09:33:17 PM »
I checked out your sauce and I use basically the same thing but no Mccormick Italian seasoning. I think I pureed the tomatoes to much. I remember garcias had chunks.
Thin crust is on the menu and a skin in the fridge now. I'm trying to get a Grady's crust. Grady's is a thicker cracker crust. Mmm mm gradys.
Also got a Chicago style using the same cracker crust dough which cooks nicely at 40% hydration. Gonna turn that one into a stuffed crust pizza.

I still think yours turned out well. We have to figure out the baking thing on our own because every oven cooks differently.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
Yes I agree. I was surprised it took almost 20 minutes to cook. My deepdish takes 35 to 38 minutes.
Got me a Blackstone coming in 10 days gonna be pizza drunk!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2014, 11:22:21 PM »
Yes I agree. I was surprised it took almost 20 minutes to cook. My deepdish takes 35 to 38 minutes.
Got me a Blackstone coming in 10 days gonna be pizza drunk!!
Woo hoo baby!!  :chef:

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Dills Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »
thank you.
I had a chance meeting last evening with a  former employee of one of the Normal Garcias. Although it has been many years since they have been in town and since he worked there he did try to recollect some techniques and info.
Cornmeal is an ingredient in their dough. The sauce was made off grounds and brought in from somewhere so he wasn't sure about the sauce.
The gutbuster style pan pizza was rolled with a sheeter and then pressed into the pan. The panned dough then sat in the pan for many hours until used. Which gave it a long rise time. It would rise at or above room temp in the kitchen which would get hot do to the ovens. These pizzas went on a conveyor to cook.
I'm gonna try the long rise in my gas oven.
He said the deep dish they used aluminum tent stakes that were bent somehow and that helped cook the deepdish all the way through. I'll get more detail next week on that.
He also said the meats were precooked before going on the pie.
Again it had been many years since he worked there. And this was just one of the locations.
I'll post some pics this evening of my results.

Any further information that might be extrapolated (via water-boarding, etc) would be nice. :)

pizzapan