Author Topic: Best thin crust in Chicago right now?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline fangurl

• I Love Pizza!
Best thin crust in Chicago right now?
« on: April 19, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »
Hello folks -

Making my semi-annual trip to Chicago next week and am very much looking forward to trying Spacca Napoli, of which I have heard great things.

I wanted to ask you all where you thought the best Chicago style thin crust in all the land can be found?

Thanks.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
Re: Best thin crust in Chicago right now?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:38:46 AM »
It's really hard to say who's this pizza is the best because of the different pizza places that are all over this area. Myself.. I like Aurelio's Pizza in my neck of the woods.
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Musky

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »
I haven't eaten much Chicago thin crust, but about six months ago we were there for the weekend and had what I thought was an excellent thin crust at O'Fame in Lincoln Park.

I don't see it mentioned much on the Internet.  It hasn't been around forever like some of the more famous places.  Maybe someone from the area could comment on it.  My wife and I though it was really good. 

Kevin

Almost time to catch some muskies.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
 Hi fangurl,
 I think that you will get so many different favorites it will be difficult to settle on one. There is a club Chicago Pizza Club that dines, documents , photographs and rates thier findings. http://chicagopizzaclub.blogspot.com/
 The best places i have been too are on the south side or south suburbs Palermos,Vito & Nicks,Cheasdans, or Home Run Inn which i believe carries the clubs highest rating. Yes the north side has good pizza also, Ofame mentioned above is one of them, a really fresh sauce.
 The others Cavalones,Ciprianis,Fasanos are carryout/delivery only but very good as well.               Chiguy

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
I don't live in Chicago anymore, but I am too looking forward to returning for the summer and having some of that great Chicago thin crust pizza that I had for the 50 plus years or so that I lived there.  Home Run Inn on 31st Street is great and usually always gets the number one rating in most of the local pizza surveys there.  Vito & Nicks, Candlelight, Fox's (Oak Lawn - my personal favorite), Pizano's (rated nationally in top 10 per USA today - http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/10great/2006-10-12-pizza-places_x.htm), Aurelio's, Ed & Joe's, Sanfratello's,  and Villa Nova are all very high on my list.  I've not heard much about Spacca Napoli, but I'm going to guess that it is not traditional or classic Chicago thin crust.  Maybe someone else can elaborate on their style of pizza.  Enjoy yourself with such great Chicago delights.  With few exceptions, you won't find anything like them anywhere across the country.

Offline jeffro

• Square Cut Johnny
    • Chef Jeff & Ali
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »
No doubt, bar none, the best I've ever had and constantly enjoy is Jimmy's Place in Forest Park.  Seriously. 

Forest park is just west of the loop and right off the 290. 

7411 Madison St
(between Hannah Ave & Thomas Ave)
Forest Park, IL 60130
(708) 771-7476 

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:46:24 PM »
Vito and Nick's on South Pulaski in Chicago. TRULY thin crust. Some of the others mentioned are good, but this is almost cracker thin crust, if that's what you wanted.

Offline DonRon

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 03:05:53 PM »
Here's some of my favorites for Chicago thin crust:

Trattoria Porretta & Pizza, 3656 N Central Ave. , Chicago
John's Pizza and Lounge, 2104 W. Western Ave., Chicago
Angelo's Pizza & Restaurant, 3026 West Montrose Avenue, Chicago

Don Ron

Offline johnson29630

• My Pizza
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 02:43:54 PM »
One more vote for Vito & Nicks. I don't think I've ever had a better thin crust pizza.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »
Here's some of my favorites for Chicago thin crust:

Trattoria Porretta & Pizza, 3656 N Central Ave. , Chicago
John's Pizza and Lounge, 2104 W. Western Ave., Chicago
Angelo's Pizza & Restaurant, 3026 West Montrose Avenue, Chicago

Don Ron

John's is on NORTH Western  ;D

Offline pulykamell

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
One more vote for Vito & Nicks. I don't think I've ever had a better thin crust pizza.

No question for me, Vito & Nick's is the gold standard of Chicago thin crust.

Offline DonRon

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »
John's is on NORTH Western  ;D

Sorry I apologize...John's Pizza is definately on NORTH Western Ave...a typo.

I've lived in Northern Alabama now for the last 8 years and I come back home to Chicago a few times a year and hit the 3 spots I mentioned above.  They have NO good pizza here...mostly all franchise pizza...the odd non-franchise place still blows (when you order a sausage pizza here you beter be damn careful or you'll get regular breakfast pork sausage on it!!).

I miss the food so much so that's why I've been lurking on this forum for months now.  I even have to resort to making my own Italian Beef sandwiches but they don't come close to Mr. Beef's & Pizza near Harlem & Irving (they have an interesting pizza too!!).  I guess the secret to good Italian Sausage pizza is the use of Chicago's very own Scala Italian Sausage.

A few weeks ago I hit Angelo's Pizza (on Montrose between California & Kedzie I believe).  I'm starting to think that Angelo's is my # 1 spot for thin crust now.  It's got more of a cracker taste.....I wish to God I had that recipe or if I could duplicate it somehow.

I tried to get the recipe from John's Pizza (even offered the guy $500) and he said no way.  The word on the street is that they use a self-rising flour for their dough?  I wonder if most mom & pop places use this in their crusts because you can certainly tell the difference between a Chicago-style thin crust and somewhere outside of IL.  Most pizza places outside of Chicago seem to have more of a NY style crust/taste...even if it is rolled thin and the dough is docked.

Any ideas?

Don Ron

pizzapan