Author Topic: My First Pizza using Info from here.  (Read 326 times)

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
My First Pizza using Info from here.
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
I used Peter's basic recipe for NY Style Pizza and cobbled together ingredients I had around the kitchen.

I mixed a double batch as my mixer just couldn't do a single.

I then fermented for about 8 hrs

I split the dough when I started to ferment and will make two small pies tomorrow with the rest of it.

Rummaged around the dinning room and found a pizza stone and put it in the oven and heated to 550*F

Made the pie and baked for 6 minutes.

It turned out great for a first effort.  Thanks for all the great info on this site.
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Online Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My First Pizza using Info from here.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Marauderer,

Very nice for your 1st pizza.

What type of flour did you use and at what temp did you bake for the 6 mins?
Dave

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
That's a great first effort....

Can't we call you something other than Maraud...er......er??? It's Monday and I'm struggling to type that......
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:03:35 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »
Marauderer,

Very nice for your 1st pizza.

What type of flour did you use and at what temp did you bake for the 6 mins?

I used White Lily Bread Flour.

Set oven on 550*F and when the pizza stone read 537*F on the IR thermometer (it took forever to get there) I slid the pie off the peel onto the stone.  I set the timer for 6 min. but it was closer to 7 min when I took it out.
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »
That's a great first effort....

Can't we call you something other than Maraud...er......er??? It's Monday and I'm struggling to type that......

Capt Bob,  Barry works great.
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
Thank you Barry! I know we're gonna see some great pies from your oven!!
Bob

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:19 PM »
Nice first pie! Beats mine to heck.

How was the crust? Chewy, nice crunch, what you were looking for, etc, etc.

The picture of your maker without my reading specs on looked like a big floor mixer.  ;D

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
Thank you Barry! I know we're gonna see some great pies from your oven!!
I am really excited about getting my Blackstone up and running.  I never thought that i would get such a nice pie out of my Maytag oven.
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:16:19 AM »
Nice first pie! Beats mine to heck.

How was the crust? Chewy, nice crunch, what you were looking for, etc, etc.

The picture of your maker without my reading specs on looked like a big floor mixer.  ;D

Thanks R, It was crispy on the outside, chewy but not tough.

Ah, the mixer is an Avantco 10 qt counter mixer.  My wife just bought bit for me as I cook all our own breads, mill our own flour.  I have had others a bit smaller but they have to work to hard and their motors get to hot.  This guy is great.  I wish I had ponied up years ago for this one.

Home milled flour just doesn't make a great pizza pie crust for me.

I am going to use the rest of the dough today and make two smaller pies and make them a bit thinner. 

I didn't tine the last pie.  I am considering pining these today so as to not get the huge bubbles.  Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
I just searched and found on-line. That thing looks like a drill press. I bet it doesn't have much issue with a 4-ball batch. Mine sort of...well, it doesn't handle it. I'm impressed. Maybe I'll ask for a bigger one next year instead of more guitar gear.  :-D

Have you tried the dough calculators on the forum's site front page? You can determine dough-ball size by weight to fit the dimension and thickness factor of the pie you want to make. http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-tools.html

I don't know about that big of a bubble. I have no idea if this is the proper thing to do or not, but I give mine a big whack when it's stretched out if I have any problem areas that I think might produce a bubble like that. I let one counter-rise too long yesterday and had to do just that. Just be careful not to smash the edge is all. Perhaps another member can chime in with better technique? 

Tined, meaning the fork thing while it's stretched out? I've never done it. There are tools for it for pizza, called "Docking" (or "Docker" for the actual tool.) I don't mind a bit of un-evenness.

I don't know the first thing about milling flour. I bet it's been done successfully on this site for pizza. I'd do a search.

My biggest struggles have been un-learning what little bread I "knew" and learning pizza dough. Two different beasts. My first couple dozen had various issues ranging from too hard to stretch, way too chewy and way too bready. Lots of over-mixing using KABF. Some under-hydrated, some too bready. I'm at a really good point right now using a combination of Fazzaro and glutenboy (members here) formulations and methods.

Your oven can produce a fine pie. For me, it was getting dough formulation right. Well, close. Once I was in the ball park, I no longer had any bad feelings for rainy days and having to cook pizza inside. A warm up period helps for me, too. I accidently did an hour one time and discovered that folks around here were right about that issue, too.  It makes a little difference on the crunch. Maybe sauce and cheese cook too, but that part was fine only going about 15 minutes after it reached temps. 450F, too. Not saying that's optimal, but a decent pie can be done.

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
Roy, I haven't used the dough calculators.  When I used Peter's TL recipe I used the volumetric measurements.

The basic recipe was (I doubled it for my mixer):

5 1/4 Cp White Lily Bread flour
1 5/8 Cp water @ 72*f
3 1/4 tsp Sugar
3 tsp Honey
4 tsp oil (I used just plain old vegetable oil)
1 3/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp ADY

When I got it all mixed together the dough was way to stiff and dry.  I added almost another 1/3 Cp of water.  The dough was loose but not sticky.  The 72*F water was hard for me as I am used to using 110*F water in my bread dough.  I did take the yeast, 1/4 Cp of the water and about 1 tsp honey to get the yeast dissolved and going.  I was sure but the dough turned out really well in the end product so I will try and repeat today what I did yesterday. 

I need to work on a pizza sauce.  Oh, after I made the pie out of the dough I put a very light coat of oil on the top of the pie crust so it wouldn't be soggy in the middle.  I read that somewhere and it really worked well.

I am having a hard time with the micro recipes. 

I will Dock these next two pies and stay away from the edge by about 1 1/2", maybe only 1".

Oh yes, Pizza is another world.  Not just the different style crust but the flours, temperature of the ovens, etc.  When I started reading I said WOW!  This is neat and now I am going to be able to make some great pies with the help of you guys (girls are guys also, just soft guys).
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
Barry,

I don't remember exactly which Tom Lehmann recipe or instructions you followed, but normally when ADY is used, I suggest that it be prehydrated in warm water at around 105 degrees F for about ten minutes. For prehydration purposes, you only need a small part of the total formula water. The rest of the water should be at a temperature to ideally achieve a finished dough temperature of around 75-80 degrees F. IDY does not need prehydrating and it can tolerate fairly low water temperatures if it is first mixed in with the flour.

It looks like you are doing fine, especially for a first time. With experience, you should only get better and better.

Peter

Offline Marauderer

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
Peter, thank you for the kind words.  I had been putting off making a pie and when I decided to do it all I had was ADY so, you know the rest of the story.  It kicked but was slow and as i get better I will learn what has tolerances and what doesn't.  I have found over the years that most kinds of dough are really forgiving within certain boundaries.

This is thread I copied the recipe from in the first post.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html
Barry
Fledgling Pizza Maker

Offline rparker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »
Roy, I haven't used the dough calculators.  When I used Peter's TL recipe I used the volumetric measurements.
I went the weighing route just so I could speak the same language as the folks here. ended up being a lot easier to work with weight than volume.
I need to work on a pizza sauce.  Oh, after I made the pie out of the dough I put a very light coat of oil on the top of the pie crust so it wouldn't be soggy in the middle.  I read that somewhere and it really worked well.
I'm a big fan of crushed tomatoes straight from the can with just s tiny touch of sugar, oregano, granulated garlic and sometimes tomato powder.

Oh yes, Pizza is another world.  Not just the different style crust but the flours, temperature of the ovens, etc.  When I started reading I said WOW!  This is neat and now I am going to be able to make some great pies with the help of you guys (girls are guys also, just soft guys).
These guys here know their stuff, that's for sure. It's funny how one little tiny little detail can make a huge difference. 800 grams of flour became chewable when I dropped salt percentage from 2-1/2% to 2%. Wow!