Author Topic: More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Donuts  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Donuts
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
Finally got around to trying Randy's suggestion to make donuts. Used dough leftover from yesterday's pizza baking.

Definitely not like my standard donuts which are loaded with eggs and butter, but really tasty and satisfying, none the less. More like sopaipillas, if you are familiar with those.

Photos below.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Donuts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 04:18:48 PM »
Bill,

If I still ate donuts, I would say I'd like to have one of those.  It looks like you glazed them.  If you glazed them in maple sugar, I'd be tempted.

- red.november

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:28:03 PM »
Bill glad you had a chance to try this treat.  It is a good way to have a donut or two without being tempted to eat too many.

I put a donut the other day on a piece of parchment paper and really let it rise before letting it slip into the oil. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 06:54:49 PM »

It looks like you glazed them.  If you glazed them in maple sugar, I'd be tempted.

November,

A thin coat of glazing sugar, water, and fiori di sicilia was applied while the donuts were still hot. Maple sugar sounds like a great idea.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
Bill glad you had a chance to try this treat.  It is a good way to have a donut or two without being tempted to eat too many.

I put a donut the other day on a piece of parchment paper and really let it rise before letting it slip into the oil. 

Randy,

Thank you for the great idea. After fermenting and retarding, these were allowed to proof for 5 hours at room temp. They were really fluffy.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:43:18 AM »
Bill,

The best donut I have ever had in my life was made by a small town donut shop just down the street from my grandfather's business when I was a kid.  That was a long time ago and I think the shop has since closed.  They made a triangle shaped bismarck (berliner) with a maple cream filling and a maple glaze.  Wow, was that a great donut.  I would break my vow of donut silence for one of those.

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 07:30:07 AM »
November,

Sounds really good. Maybe I'll try to make one of these. What do you think would be the ingredients in the cream?

The best donut was the very first one I ever ate. I was a cub scout and the den mother bought us glazed donuts that were still warm. They say that crack cocaine addicts spend the rest of their lives trying, but failing, to relive the feeling of their first dose. I know what they mean. Sweets are something I rarely crave, but someday they'll find me passed out in the gutter with donut crumbs around my mouth.   >:D

Bill/SFNM

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 01:44:14 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
Bill,

When I was in the Boy Scouts there was a time someone brought donuts to a meeting, and in particular, an orange glazed donut that looked as if it could fluoresce in the dark.  It had more orange flavor than an orange itself.

This is almost a stab in the dark because it has been so long since I've eaten a "Triangle" as they were called, but since it was a Dutch/German enclave within a Shiawassee (Native American) settlement, my guess would be that they used a Bavarian cream base, but instead of using plain granulated sugar, they used maple sugar.  In a traditional Bavarian cream you have the following approximate proportion of ingredients:

250 mL heavy cream
250 mL whipped cream (500 mL whipped cream for the Triangle)
 45 mL cold water
   2 mL vanillin
   4 egg yolks
200 g granulated sugar (maple sugar for the Triangle)
 14 g gelatin

Dissolve the gelatin in the cold water.  Warm up the heavy cream and vanillin together.  Beat the egg yolks and sugar together.  Pour the warm cream mixture into the egg mixture while whisking.  Bring the temperature of the combined mixture back up again and keep it warm until it's thick enough to heavily coat a spoon.  Mix in the gelatin water.  Cool the mixture as rapidly as possible (using refrigerator, ice bath, or both).  Fold in whipped cream.

In the case of the Triangle cream, I think they used twice as much whipped cream because it had a light flavor and an even lighter texture.  It had the consistency midway between a custard and a fluffy whipped cream.

- red.november

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »
Slowly I am learning about donuts as I try differant doughs that are leftover or a pinch off a new loaf to be.  The only bad donut came dough for a loaf of Portuguese sweet bread. 

Novembers orange donut sounds good.

I ran across a recipe for hotdog and hamburger buns that makes a pretty good donnut as well.  The buns are very light and tender and very easy to make using a dough cycle of a bread machine.  I use a 4"pasty ring to cut the hamburger buns out like biscuits.  I took another tin 4" diameter pastry ring and shaped it into a hotdog bun cutter.  I have cut back on the sugar in the recipe but it is interesting never the less.
http://www.recipezaar.com/96475

Bill your donuts looked very tasty indeed.  I bet they were light.