Author Topic: A few photos of a pizza I made on the G3Ferrari  (Read 5597 times)

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
A few photos of a pizza I made on the G3Ferrari
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:04:36 AM »
I did a 2 hour rise.  standard lehman recipe but used honey instead of sugar.  This dough was around 270 grams.  I tried to focus on keeping the temp down as much as possible and not burning it, like I did with others.  The browning on the bottom was impressive.  Made me want to throw away my convection oven with the stone.  I had problems cooking the sides of the pizza but keeping the temp down helps with that. 

grove
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:07:55 AM by grovemonkey »

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
Re: A few photos of a pizza I made on the G3Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:47:44 AM »
I managed to do another pizza with g3.  This is just Japanese mushrooms some italian tomato sauce and two types of mozz.  Worked out pretty good.  Was more cooked then  my others.. This was made from the same dough as the other just retarded in the fridge for around 24 hours and allowed to warm to room temp for 2.  Was ok. 

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:58:38 AM »
 OK, stoopid question. Is this G3Ferrari an old Macintosh with a super clock chipped upgrade, or something else?   :)

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
G3Ferrari is this gimicky device I bought for cooking pizza.  Here is the link to the object http://www.g3ferrarigroup.com/en/risultati.asp?famiglia=2&categoria=13

To be honest, I was disappointed when I first bought it.  It's growing on me.  My convection oven here at home doesn't crisp up the bottom crust or brown very well.  It does ok, if you judge a pizza by the coloration.  This G3 does a good job though of crisping up the whole thing.  I made a pizza tonight using mugicha (japanese wheat tea) as the base liquid instead of water.  It did a great job.  The good side to the G3 is that it heats quickly and browns my pizzas better than my current convection oven setup.  The down side is that the convection oven creates  pizza that is slightly crispy, soft an d not wet.  Leaving my pizzas in the G3 for too little time creates a soggy pizza (though I think messing with the hydration might fix this actually). 

grove

Offline shango

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
You should crank/pre heat  that weird looking waffle iron up to 878, turn it off and then throw the pizza in.  Maybe you would get a little more spring and since the unit is turned off it shouldn't burn the bottom, if you can cook it fast enough..

However, as it is, the pizza doesn't look half bad.

post photos of the next, please.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 02:15:20 AM »
Here is another pie.  This is just a cheese with some tomato sauce.  I used some smoked mozz and regular mozz with a bit of parm.  The dough was hand mixed with a bit of oil, honey and salt with a final dough weight of around 320g.  Instead of water I used Japanese roasted barley tea or mugicha, mugicha is usually consumed in the summer when it's hot and you drink it cold.  I give it 2 thumbs up.  Here is more info on Mugicha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugicha

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:20:29 AM by grovemonkey »

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
grovemonkey, That looks fantastic, love the browning of the cheese. :pizza:
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline kstretch158

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »
What does the Japanese roasted barley tea or mugicha do to the taste? I have never heard of using that.
Stromboli's Pizza

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 05:39:47 AM »
The crust seemed to have a slightly deeper flavor and for some reason the salt flavoring was more pronouced.  I only did it once so I think I would need to toy around with it a little more.  I'm also considering adding more traditional tea and seeing what that does to the crust.     

Offline bob42

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
Hi Grovemonkey,

its been a while since you posted to this thread - are you still happy with the G3Ferrari?  i stumbled across the same device in my quest for higher temperature.

Do you have any more feedback?

Bob42

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:56 AM »
I like it's portability.  I can take it to parties and make good pizza in an environment that I don't know.  It's a good little device if you can't find a decent oven or like here in Japan, a microwave/oven combo.  Nowadays the microwave/convection ovens they sell in Japan go up to 340C so you can make decent pizza with them.  My current oven goes to 340 but most of my test show the pizza stone that was included only getting to around 310C.  Still it makes good pizza, though you loose heat when you open to check it.   

I think if you travel often and want to eat your own pizza, it's great.  For that matter, it does do good pizza.  I've stumbled upon a pizza flour made by monte bussan here in Japan specifically for stone pizza ovens.  I do regular pizza with it but I should try to bang out a few on the g3 and see what happens..

pizzapan