Author Topic: Anyone ever order from LaCuisineus.com?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline thehoj

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone ever order from LaCuisineus.com?
« on: April 24, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
I was just curious if anyone has ordered from www dot lacuisineus dot com (can't post hyperlinks since I'm a new member).. They have some stuff that I'm interested in..

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Anyone ever order from LaCuisineus.com?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 06:17:04 PM »
I've never heard of them, but after looking at their website, I'm not impressed.

- Does the store exist in real life ? or just online ?
- do they have a good secure link for ordering online ?

- I'd get more info on them before giving out credit card info.

Oh, and if you are looking for pizza specific stuff, there are some good stores that have been
suggested on our website here - and the store is very trusted.

Edit: there is a website ( resellers something or other ) where you can go and get info on online stores,
this way you can see if they have had problems with clients, or if they are a great company.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:20:04 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
I haven't bought anything from LaCusineus, but I do know that they are one of the very few (and possibly the only one) to sell the Caputo Rosso (Red) 00 flour in a small bag (5 lb.). Otherwise, you would have to buy a 55-lb. bag, either from LaCuisine, chefswarehouse.com, or a distributor. I've known about LaCuisine for several years and believe them to be legit, and safe to do business with. Do the three women shown on the home page at http://www.lacuisineus.com look like shady characters to you? Or do you think that is why they have the three dogs?

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »
I just made pizza tonight with a bag of cputo red I bought from chef's warehouse (dairyland USA).  I think they will only do 55lb bags, but this stuff is worth it.  Really great flour that is a bit closer to a high gluten than the standard caputo pizzeria.

Offline BigMike

• Eat, Drink and Be Merry
    • The Hungry New Englander
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:12:48 AM »
I have actually been to the store itself in Alexandria, VA(live about 2.5 miles away) and picked up a 5lb. bag of the Caputo Red.  It comes in a brown paper bag that has been taped up.  The store itself is actually very small.  Peter is correct in that it is run by a few women (who love dogs) who aim to get cooking items that you cant easily find elsewhere.  They truly care about the customers needs and were very helpful in showing me a number of items in my visit.  Without question, I would trust the operation.  If you still feel uncomfortable, give a call over there and I'm sure that the staff will put you at ease.  Hope this helps!
Mike

Offline thehoj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone!
I think I'm gonna order a few items from them.. They have pretty reasonable shipping rates to Canada, and they also ship via USPS, so that makes things a bit easier at the border.

Is there a better choice for ordering some of the more difficult to find flour's to Canada?

thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »
Is there a better choice for ordering some of the more difficult to find flour's to Canada?

thehoj,

Where do you live in Canada? We have several members who live in Canada who may be able to help you since they have gone through the same flour travails as you. Are there any particular brands or types of flours you are looking for?

Peter

Offline thehoj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:50:31 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm fairly new to pizza making.. sort of.. I HAVE been making pizza's for a few years now, trying to perfect a dough.. But it hasn't been until recently that I've started looking more in-depth at the whole process.
I mean I have a dough down that I like, it's just using an all-purpose robin hood flour, and supermarket grade ingredients, which I realize will make an average pizza, but they won't make a real pizza to be proud of.

Unfortunately I'm limited to 550 Degrees in my oven at home, and limited to 750 degrees in my Broil King grill (still haven't actually tried cooking a pizza in this yet). I do cook on a stone, but I also make my dough entirely by hand, so I can't mix as thoroghly as those with a mixer like a KitchenAid.

I had been reading about the advantages of using the Caputo pizza flour, but hadn't realized that because of the extreme fine grind (among other things?) this requires upwards of 800 - 900 degrees to cook properly.
That was what I was looking for initially. As I'm doing more reading though I'm not sure that's what I should be looking at for the time being.. I'm possibly looking at some King Arthur flour maybe?.. I definitely need to do some more research on ingredients and cooking processes.

Basically I want to cook as close to a Napolese pizza as I can with the cooking method's I have available to me. So I guess I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

To actually answer your questions though, I'm located in the town of Brandon Manitoba (200Kms west of Winnipeg) I think I'd probably like to pick up some King Arthur flour, and I would be interested in finding some San Marzano canned tomato's as well.

This is probably more than you were looking for in the reply, but I felt like getting my story out.. lol.

thehoj,

Where do you live in Canada? We have several members who live in Canada who may be able to help you since they have gone through the same flour travails as you. Are there any particular brands or types of flours you are looking for?

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
thehoj,

The additional information you provided is actually quite helpful.

The reason I asked you where in Canada you live is because some of our Canadian members live close enough to the U.S to be able to cross the border to buy pizza supplies. Also, some foodservice companies, possibly even in Canada, will sell to individuals on a cash-and-carry basis. Gordon Food Services, which has this practice in the U.S., also does business in Canada (see http://www.gfscanada.com/gfs.nsf/eng/HomePage) but they may not be near you and they may have different practices than the U.S. counterpart.

It looks like in your case you are closest to North Dakota, which is a source of hard red winter wheat, which is used to make a fairly high protein flour. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any retail sources of such flours in North Dakota. I did a quick search at PMQ.com of foodservice companies that supposedly do business in North Dakota, which appears here: http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/dist/search.cgi?ND+&&States. I don’t know if the list will be of any help to you since many of the companies listed may not have a physical presence in North Dakota and may not sell to individuals.

Have you tried the Five Roses flour? I know that it is available in Canada and if you have a source near you, the Five Roses flour may be another alternative for you to try since it has a protein content of 13%, which is higher than the Robin Hood flour you may be using.

I don’t know if scott r has baked pizzas using the Caputo Rosso flour in a normal home oven operating at normal temperatures, but it is possible that the Caputo Rosso may work better in a home oven than the other Caputo flours. The Caputo Rosso flour is a higher protein flour that is often combined with other 00 flours, although it is possible to use it alone even though it is apparently not the easiest flour to work with. I don’t know if you saw the Caputo Rosso pizza dough recipe at the LaCuisine website, but it appears at http://lacuisineus.com/cuisinettesrecipes.php (you will have to enter the word "pizza" in the search box) and calls for hand kneading. In my experience, it helps when hand kneading high protein flour doughs to use a fairly high hydration and to use autolyse or autolyse-like rest periods. I notice that LaCuisine also sells what I believe is the Caputo Extra Blu 00 flour, which is the lowest in protein content of the three main Caputo 00 flours. You could blend some of that flour with the Caputo 00 Rosso to “soften” the Caputo Rosso.

Working with 00 flours in a standard home oven setting is not the easiest thing to do, and the results won’t match what you can achieve with very-high oven temperatures. However, it is possible to make a pretty good pizza in a home oven if you are creative and have patience. I tried to explain some of the challenges and to offer up some possibilities at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3673.msg30921.html#msg30921 (Reply 3). Maybe you will find something there to give you comfort if you decide to give the 00 flours a try.

Peter

Offline thehoj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the info. We do have Five roses flour here at all the supermarket's, so maybe I'll check that out. I didn't know how to even check the protein content for the various flour available to me..
There is some local stuff available to me too, Grown in Manitoba, so I'm curious to look into that. But again I don't think anyone that sells that stuff knows what kind of protein content it contains.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I'm going to try to follow some of your advice in that other thread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
I didn't know how to even check the protein content for the various flour available to me..

When the matter came up recently at another thread, I couldn't find the protein content information at the website of Five Roses, so I called the Five Roses 800 number. The customer service rep I spoke to didn't know the answer either and had to call me back with the answer after she checked with someone else. So, the protein content apparently isn't as widely disseminated in Canada as it is in the U.S. And it isn't all that great in the U.S. either. I had to call King Arthur for similar information on a couple of its flours when I couldn't find the answer at the KA website or after doing an extensive Google search.

Peter

Offline thehoj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »
Wow.. talk about dedicated to pizza!
I wouldn't have even thought of delving that far into things to find answers. It's appreicated though.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:36:24 PM »
Wow.. talk about dedicated to pizza!
I wouldn't have even thought of delving that far into things to find answers. It's appreicated though.

As they say, the devil is in the detail.

Peter