Author Topic: How long do commercial pizza chains rise their pizzas ??  (Read 4172 times)

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
How long do commercial pizza chains rise their pizzas ??
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:11 PM »
1 hour ???  ???

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: How long do commercial pizza chains rise their pizzas ??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:48:49 PM »
Perhaps you can elaborate on this.

I don't know any chains around here that will create a pizza and let it rise.  The one I volunteer at
however, lets their *dough* rise in their chiller for 5 hours approx, before it gets used that day, but I'm
talking about dough balls, and not actual rolled out pizza dough ( in the shape it will be baked in )

Are you talking about a pizzeria that actually creates the pie shape ( roll it out ) and then let it sit and rise ?

I know that Pizza Hut does this, but only with pan pizzas. ( AFAIK )
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »
eric22,

Most of the major pizza chains like Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's and Little Caesar's use commissaries to make the dough. The dough can be fresh but, increasingly, the big boys are going to frozen dough. I believe that even for the pan pizzas that Canadianbacon mentioned, Pizza Hut is now using frozen skins that are placed in pans at the store level to defrost and rise. I believe that Pizza Hut is pretty close to using all frozen dough, and rumors are afloat that another major pizza operator is on the verge of doing the same thing. Donato's, which is nowhere near as big as the big four, is also using frozen dough skins. All of this is being done to cut costs by more completely standardizing the dough preparation and management processes. Some of the smaller chains still make the dough at the store level but even they have simplified the processes by using premixes that require only the addition of water, which is something that can be handled by minimum-wage workers with little or no experience. Many independent operators still make their own dough but there are also quite a few who outsource this part of the business to companies that make either fresh or frozen dough balls.

When dough is made fresh by the commissaries, as does Papa John's, for example, the dough is made using small amounts of yeast and the dough balls are maintained at low controlled temperatures to allow enough time to get the dough balls to their destination (the individual stores) in usable form. I believe that deliveries to stores are made about twice a week. Once the dough balls get into the stores, the operators there are supposed to use the dough balls within a specified period of time. I would imagine that the dough balls are allowed to temper at room temperature for about an hour or so after removing them from the cooler, but I have read that this step is often abused by the operators. Some apparently use the dough balls without tempering them at all whereas others let the dough balls warm up too much. The corporate guys in suits don't like this because it can result in an inconsistent product. Profits is the name of the game. Of the top four, I believe that only Little Caesar's is not a public company with shareholders to worry about.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
Sbarro restaurants still make their own dough.  It's always made for next-day-use.  There are no pre-mixes.  You usually would take the dough out of the retarder 2 hours before use to bring the temperature up to the optimum 62F-65F temperature (and yes, this tends to get abused).

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:56 PM »
Sbarro used to be a publicly owned company but went private. Then it was bought out in January of this year by a NY buyout shop (private equity firm) for $450M. It will be interesting to see what changes the new owner makes, possibly with the view of taking the company public again. Maybe Sbarro is the company thinking about going to frozen dough ;D .

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:02:32 AM »
Sbarro used to be a publicly owned company but went private. Then it was bought out in January of this year by a NY buyout shop (private equity firm) for $450M. It will be interesting to see what changes the new owner makes, possibly with the view of taking the company public again. Maybe Sbarro is the company thinking about going to frozen dough ;D .

Peter

They might, but I tend to think any major changes like that wouldn't happen until they change ownership again.  They are more interested in opening restaurants right now.

pizzapan