Author Topic: ThermoKool 138  (Read 23069 times)

Offline Bryan S

Re: ThermoKool 138
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 11:03:52 PM »
Bryan,

A refrigerator does not offer the ability to warm the dough beyond ambient temperature.  I believe Bill uses his MR-138 for applications requiring warming as much as cooling.

- red.november
Gotcha.  :-[
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 01:23:45 AM »
If you're looking for a temp controller to make a proofing box, here's one that works on 120/240 volts, heats and cools, and is about $50 delivered. Looks pretty slick!

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270107910907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017#ebayphotohosting)

ETC-111000 Ranco Digital Temp Control 120/208/240V

The GOLDLINE SP-30 ALTERNATIVE

The Ranco ETC is a microprocessor based electronic temperature controller designed to provide on/off control of heating and cooling.

The ETC is equiped with a Liquid Crystal Display(LCD) that provides a constant readout of the sensed temperature, and a touch keypad that allows the user to easily and accurately select the set point temperature, differential set point, and heating or cooling mode of operation.

The unit can be operated on either line voltage, 120/208/240VAC. With its wide temperature setpoint range and selectable heating or cooling modes, the ETC can be used for a wide variety of applications such as Research, Science, Laboratory, Education, Aquariums, Hydroponics, Pools and more.
Some of ETCS Microprocessor outstanding features include :

Large and easy to read LCD
Sensor Thermistor
2 Inch Long x 1/4 Inch Diameter
8 Feet of Cable included
Remote Sensor can run up to 400ft away
SPDT Output Relay
Wide Range: -30 to 220:F
User selectable Fahrenheit/Celsius scales
Lockout Switch to prevent tampering by unauthorized personnel
Simple 4-step keypad programming.

Villa Roma

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:34:15 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 05:31:35 PM »
Recently, the ThermoKool MR-138 received the attention of the experts over at HowStuffWorks.  Here is their review:

http://products.howstuffworks.com/thermokool-deluxe-mini-fridge-mr-138-review.htm

On a personal note regarding the listed "con", I have never experienced condensation buildup in mine; and I'm sure I've had mine longer than the reviewer.  I have also noticed more "personal" reviews from people on other sites using the unit specifically for fermenting dough.  I wonder how much of that interest began here at Pizza Making.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 05:53:39 PM »
November,

In the course of my perambulations around the Internet, I often find material that was lifted from this forum. What has surprised me most is that in most cases no attribution is given. People just lift the material and pass it off as their own, often to the praise of others who read the material.

Peter

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 06:11:30 PM »
Peter,

Typical of what I see is a statement like, "I read somewhere this was being used for fermenting dough."  For example:

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/09/purchase-able-fermentation-box-it.html

On other occasions, the person giving the review isn't the same person who bought it.  For example:

http://www.atlantacuisine.com/cgi-bin/eforums/YaBB.pl?num=1197903877

- red.november

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
November,

In the course of my perambulations around the Internet, I often find material that was lifted from this forum. What has surprised me most is that in most cases no attribution is given. People just lift the material and pass it off as their own, often to the praise of others who read the material.

Peter
I also find this very annoying. I think we're all guilty on occasion just out of absentmindedness, but I always try to give credit where it's due. I frequent the bbqforum.com and have referred many people to this site when asking about pizzas I have made and posted pics of. I'll give the recipe I use and tell them it all started here, great site. Or as in the pasta recipe I posted a couple weeks ago. I could've easily taken credit for that but it was a recipe from Prima's owner/chef in Cozumel. Some people just need their back scratched I guess or just don't think it's important. By the way, the bbqforum guys are not shy about jumping on someone for doing that either. If someone picks up on it they let them know.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »
November, you appear to have an issue with my blog post. I didn't specify where i saw that the Thermokool was used to ferment bread dough, because I didn't remember, and i STILL don't where i saw it first. I read about 10 forums, of which 3 or 4 are about bread, and the rest about cooking, so it could have been on any one of these, and when i wrote it I wasn't going to spend an hour trying to figure out what forum i saw it on. It really wasn't that important to say "a guy on pizzamaking.com uses this to ferment dough" because that wasn't the point of the post.

When i know where something came from i attribute it properly, if i don't i don't, because i don't want to mis-credit people.

As far as the Atlantacuisine review, why do you say the person isn't the one who bought it? BEcause it was an Xmas gift? I don't understand what you're referring to, or what the issue is with the person's review.

You can also email me directly if you are annoyed by something i wrote.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:09:10 PM by jasonmolinari »

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 01:39:56 AM »
November, you appear to have an issue with my blog post.

No, I don't, and I don't know why you would say that.  Just because I said it was typical of the posts I see?  I think you're confusing me with someone else.

As far as the Atlantacuisine review, why do you say the person isn't the one who bought it? BEcause it was an Xmas gift? I don't understand what you're referring to, or what the issue is with the person's review.

Yes, I said that the person wasn't the one who bought it because he received it as a gift.  I don't understand what your issue is with my post.  Again, I am posting examples of what I find are typical sources of personal remarks and reviews for the MR-138.

You can also email me directly if you are annoyed by something i wrote.

No, I'd rather say directly that I'm annoyed by what you just now wrote.  I had no problem with what you wrote on your blog.  Both of my links were meant to serve as counter-examples to Peter's findings, especially the Atlanta Cuisine link.  If a person receives a unit for a gift, obviously he/she has very little chance of knowing where the idea to buy it came from.

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 06:24:26 AM »
November, then i will apologize immediately. I must have completely misunderstood the meaning of your post.

In reading the thread, i gathered that Pete was annoyed when people don't properly attribute their findings to people, and i thought you posted my blog as an example of someone who did not properly attribute what he was writing about.

For the atlantacuisine post i took your comments to mean that the person giving the review isn't even the one who owns it, since he didn't buy it.

I apologize for completely misinterpreting your points, and will go back to my corner now.

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
I just bought a Thermokool 138, and it is doing a bang-up job with my pizza dough.  The only problem is that the unit blows plastic-smelling air into the chamber when heating or cooling.  This is not an issue with pizza dough, which I keep in tightly enclosed Cambro containers.  The problem arises with food that is directly exposed to the plastic-smelling air.  A few days ago, I seared a large piece of eye round beef and put it in the Thermokool, with the temperature set at 130 degrees.  About 10 hrs later, the beef reached 130 degrees (a perfect medium rare) according to an instant-read thermometer.  The beef looked great.  It was as tender as filet mignon and perfectly colored.  But it absorbed the plastic smell and tasted of plastic.  It was inedible, and I had to throw it out.   

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does the smell go away with use?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »
I have never noticed such a smell and I do regularly proof uncovered bread in it. However, I don't think I have ever set the temperature over 85F. I suggest you leave the unit set to high with the door open for several days to see if that completes any residual offgassing.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »
I would expect any plastic parts enduring 122F or above for the first few times would emit excessive monomer gasses.  Like Bill, I have experienced no significant plastic odors, but then I also haven't used the unit above 104F for anything but brief testing.  Without even turning the machine on when I first got it, there was a trace odor of plastic, but that's pretty common with plastic parts in general.  My suggestion is similar: if you plan to use the unit at high temperatures, set the unit at its highest temperature with the door closed, let it remain at that temperature for several hours, open the door to let any gasses out, and repeat until you don't smell any plastic.  Keeping the door open while it is trying to heat up won't allow it to reach its highest possible temperature, which is part of the the point of the exercise.

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
Set the unit at its highest temperature with the door closed, let it remain at that temperature for several hours, open the door to let any gasses out, and repeat until you don't smell any plastic.  Keeping the door open while it is trying to heat up won't allow it to reach its highest possible temperature, which is part of the the point of the exercise.

- red.november

Yes, that makes much more sense than what I said. BTW, I just checked the removable plastic shelves. They definitely emit a plastic odor. I rarely use these. If you do use them, make sure they are in the unit when you perform this exercise.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2008, 12:22:57 AM »
Thanks for the tip -- I'll let it "air" out and see if it helps.  Just as soon as my pizza dough proofs.

Offline colossus

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
The website lists the dimensions as 12.5" x 13.5" x 17.5"

The bottom of my cabinets are 17.2" from the countertop; the guy that remodeled the kitchen before I did wasn't quite playing with a full deck.

Is this thing 17.5" tall? I want to buy one but this has me worried.

Thanks,
jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
Is this thing 17.5" tall? I want to buy one but this has me worried.

jeff,

I measured my unit and, yes, it is 17.5" tall.

Peter

Offline colossus

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 11:44:22 AM »
jeff,

I measured my unit and, yes, it is 17.5" tall.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'll need to put it next to the sink :)

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:08 PM »
The only point at which I get 17.5" is the center (front-to-back and side-to-side) of the unit.  Measuring at the front center of the unit I get 17.9375".  If you have a place to put it anyway, you could first try taking the feet off the bottom to see if that allows you to squeeze it in.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
Has anyone recently verified that the following site does in fact have this unit in stock?  I know many places still have the unit on backorder, but perhaps this anomaly would pan out.  I'm asking this in general since I know several people have been looking around for this unit as of late.

http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/product.asp?id=PRIMR138&l=sitemap

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
Has anyone recently verified that the following site does in fact have this unit in stock?  I know many places still have the unit on backorder, but perhaps this anomaly would pan out.  I'm asking this in general since I know several people have been looking around for this unit as of late.

http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/product.asp?id=PRIMR138&l=sitemap

November,

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0248.htm

PNW

pizzapan