Author Topic: watery sauce  (Read 1773 times)

Offline huruta

watery sauce
« on: May 05, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
Hi and greetings! I've been an avid pizza maker for the last few year and just found this wonderful site. I mostly make pizza in the winter (though I'm gearing up to whole-heartedly enter the arena of grilled pizza this summer) and will often use Muir Glen pizza sauce doctored up with some additional dried herbs and several cloves of fresh garlic as my sauce.

I'm itching for a cleaner tomato flavor and have been thinking about simply using diced canned tomatoes, however the one time I did this the sauce was extremely watery. So, my idea is to drain  and/or pat the tomatoes dry before adding a few additional ingredients (i.e. olive oil and fresh garlic foremost but I'm open to other suggestions). Any recommendations on whether to drain; how long to drain; whether to also pat dry with paper towels; etc? Any favorite simple relatively fresh pizza sauces out there?

Thanks!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: watery sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:53:31 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4755.0.html

I prefer gold coffee filters because they tend not to clog up as easily as paper filters, and there's no waste of paper.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:56:42 PM by November »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
David,

Is the paint strainer stainless steel?

- red.november

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 02:17:48 PM »
No it is a  synthetic (Nylon?) mesh.I avoid using anything metalic due to the acidity of the Toms.You'll notice that a lot of Pizza makers use metal containers for storage of most ingredients,but use a plastic container for the sauce for this reason i believe.I know you are using a gold foil probably for this very reason.The paint strainer was just a very cheap ($2 ) convenient option for me at the time.I also use it for cheese straining and clean it in my dishwasher.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »
That's exactly why I asked.  It's okay if it's stainless steel as long as the time of use isn't very long.  Gold isn't going to react at all regardless of time.  I was concerned that it was a bare or zinc plated steel.  I would be more concerned about durability with nylon mesh.  As long as you already went down that road, you could also use nylon stockings.

- red.november

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 02:33:57 PM »
As long as you already went down that road, you could also use nylon stockings.

- red.november

I tend to prefer those for bank jobs........ :-X

Offline huruta

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 10:56:05 AM »
These are great ideas! Thanks for responding. Best, Christy

pizzapan