Author Topic: Pepperoni Question  (Read 2853 times)

Offline WBH

• Pizza Pizza !!
Pepperoni Question
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
Back in the '70's, I was stationed in (West) Germany in the hills south of Kaiserslaurten.  Every week or 2, several friends (local) and I would head into town for pizza at a particular corner pizzeria.  They had a pepperoni that looked like a sliced, long, thin pepper, wasn't very spicy but it had a twang and a really good flavor (sorry, best I can describe).  The owners weren't German, as could be heard from their accent, and I never spoke English with them nor did I ask where they were from, but I think they were Italian or from that region.  I had never seen that kind of pepperoni before, nor have I seen it since.  I asked this on a couple other boards over the years (well before I knew this board exsisted) but never got an answer.  Sure hope you guys can help me out as I'd love to find some ~ It was gooood!!

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pepperoni Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:57:05 PM »
WBH,

I recall that someone else once asked the same question on the forum but I couldn't quickly find the answer. But, based on what I recalled, the issue was one of what people outside of the U.S. refer to as pepperoni but with a different spelling and meaning (and maybe even pronounciation in some cases). I think this wikipedia explanation may provide the answer you are looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni.

Peter

Offline don602

Re: Pepperoni Question
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
Hungarian Donkey meat sausage.
An Austrian friend told me it is highly prized  in Europe. maybe that's what it was.

Don

pizzapan