Author Topic: Advice on thin crust recpie  (Read 3093 times)

NitWit

Advice on thin crust recpie
« on: August 12, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »
Hi all,

I am new here and I need some advice. After suffering for 5 weeks without a paycheck  >:( (I work on a contract and my  ::) “employer”  ::) has a new accounts payable system and over paid me for 3 weeks then skipped 2 weeks  :o now they are recouping the additional pay for 3 weeks  :o I wind up with 3 weeks pay to live for 6 weeks.  >:( Yes Iam looking for a new job!) I am going to make pizza for the kids (4 of em).

Due to like no budget, I am using a pan not a stone and I found the following recipe for thin crust. My question is do I let the dough sit for 24 hours? Or any length of time? It does not mention letting it sit so I am assuming the answer is no. Also, is there an easy sauce recipe that I can get somewhere? I don’t want to use a can. Yuck!

Thanks,

NitWit

Thin crust recipe

.25 oz. pkt. active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup 110 degree water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
pizza sauce - of your choice, as needed
shredded cheese - of your choice, as needed
toppings - of your choice, as needed

-Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for 8 minutes.
-In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with a heavy spoon.
-Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
-Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle.
-Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan and stretch dough to edges.
-Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
-Bake in a 500 degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.
Notes: Dough will be firm and crispy, not soggy and soft like many other doughs

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Advice on thin crust recpie
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 03:42:10 PM »
Put it in the fridge overnight and set out at least 4 hours before tring to form the pizza.

Easy sauce

Coat the bottom of a pan with some Extra Virgian Olive Oil.  Heat over medium heat then add a 1/4 cup of diced onion and two diced garlic cloves. after about 5 minutes add a can of diced tomatoes salt and pepper to taste and some "Italian Herb" or the like seasoning (again to taste). Heat through put in the blender and mix until desired consistency.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

NitWit

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 03:50:08 PM »
What happens if I mix it and use it? I really wanted to make it tonoght! :)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 10:09:22 PM »
It will be tough.

Need to set it for at least a couple of hours.

DKM

(Sorry so late to respond been gone most of the day)

lucifer

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 02:43:04 AM »
For a smoother sauce, try straining it through a sieve with the back of a spoon to get out the seeds, before adding to the cooking pot.  Occassionally turn the sieve over and give the bottom a scrape - a large amount of sieved tomato goodness will be dangling there, and scraping it clears the holes for more efficient sieving.

If you keep at it for a couple of minutes, the vast majority of tomato goes through, leaving you with just the seeds and the tinest bit of pulp, which you can chuck on the garden or at the cat.

It gives the finished products a much more professional, saucy feel.  Many do prefer the chunkier pulpier "home style" variety though.  It's all a matter of personal preference.

Simmer for 40 minutes, stir occasionally.

I don't add any onion to my sauce... just a little oregano and some garlic... quater of a teaspoon each or around there.  Oregano imparts a very strong smell and flavour, so be cautious if you do this.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 04:50:30 AM »
Put it in the fridge overnight and set out at least 4 hours before tring to form the pizza.

Easy sauce

Coat the bottom of a pan with some Extra Virgian Olive Oil.  Heat over medium heat then add a 1/4 cup of diced onion and two diced garlic cloves. after about 5 minutes add a can of diced tomatoes salt and pepper to taste and some "Italian Herb" or the like seasoning (again to taste). Heat through put in the blender and mix until desired consistency.

DKM

It sounds like a pretty cool sauce.  What about using a large can(s) of whole peeled tomatoes (instead of the diced tomatoes) and putting that through a blender first?  Go for a 12 - 1 tomato/water mix.  Add in your typical spices (salt, pepper, oregano, basil, etc.), some olive oil, mix in some cheese, and you've got a sauce you can use right away.

I also like to add a little bit of sugar to my sauce.  Also, try laying down some chopped onion after the sauce (and before the mozzarella) on your pizza.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 04:52:43 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 02:47:09 PM »
Since the idea was simple sauce I went with diced since they heat quicker.

I do use whole tomatoes in a lot of sauce recipes.  Of course I "wing" sauce a lot so it is rarely the same.

DKM