Author Topic: patsy's flour and enzymes  (Read 1968 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
patsy's flour and enzymes
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »
I recently found myself driving past Patsy's in Harlem at 3 in the morning.  I couldn't help but notice a huge pile of boxes in front of the pizzeria and I figured I would risk my life and see what was in there.  As it turns out right on top of the pile were a bunch of bags of flour labeled mondello high gluten.  The flour contains bromate unfortunately, but also enzymes.  I thought that was unusual. Does anyone know of another brand of flour that uses enzymes?

if anyone is interested in getting more information on this flour it is sold here.

http://gdsfoods.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: patsy's flour and enzymes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »
scott,

The term "enzymes" usually means alpha-amylase enzyme. Most frequently, it is in the form of a diastatic barley malt. There is also a fungal alpha-amylase, but if I had to guess I would say that the Mondello flour you mentioned most likely includes barley malt (diastatic) as the source of the alpha-amylase enzyme. Either way, the purpose of the enzyme is to extract more sugar from the damaged starch in the flour. I recently saw a Mexican all-purpose flour that also uses the term enzymes in the list of ingredients.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:37:06 PM »
thank you peter, so it is a malted flour, that makes sense!

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:44:52 PM »
Well...?   What else did you find?  ..In for a penny...

Offline mzshan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »
Thats how the secerets are cracked :P
yes SCOTTR way to go bud.. I am also in line with the next guy up above what else did you find??? :D :D :D???
Any Sauce CLUE's? may be a old thrown away box of Yeast.. ect.. etc....

shan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »
I talked to Jose the day before and he confirmed no starter,  never did and never will.  He loves cake yeast.  The tomatoes were from Sassone foods (along with this flour), and were generic whole tomatoes (california grown) and tomato puree (stanislaus).  The cheese was also generic bottom of the line.  I didn't see the fresh mozzarella boxes and I didn't feel like digging!

pizzapan