Author Topic: Pizza Napoletana by Pamela Sheldon Johns  (Read 6250 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Pizza Napoletana by Pamela Sheldon Johns
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:58:14 PM »
I first read this book about 7 years ago. On a snowy (yes, snow!) afternoon today, after making up a batch of dough to be baked tomorrow, I spent some quiet time rereading this book. I can't say I agree with everything she has to say, but I spent the majority of the time nodding my head in agreement. A truly enjoyable read with photos that will make your mouth water. I think I'll be trying several of the different topping combinations as soon as I can and will post my results in Neapolitan board. Certainly not the definitive word on the subject, but lots of interesting information, none the less.

It was a good reminder to revisit cookbooks (and other books) after a long absence. We change and may see the contents through different eyes.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Pizza Napoletana by Pamela Sheldon Johns
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
That's funny Bill 'cause i was just sitting on my deck flipping through it myself along with masterclass in Italian cooking by Maxine Clark.I tend to spend too much time on the web these days and books really are something special.Maybe one day they will go the way of Vinyl LP's !
I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a newspaper........
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:34:53 PM »
Books and vinyl Lps.  These are few of my favorite things..

I have that book.

I like it.

Her pizze don't look that great though..

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »

Her pizze don't look that great though..

It is easy to see the difference between the the photos from Naples and those from her kitchen. I agree that crusts in photos from her home oven aren't appealing. Regardless, the different toppings are inspiring for an amateur like me.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:47 PM »
I would agree with both of you on the fact that her dough doesn't look like anything spectacular.  I bought this book a few years ago and it is one of the few books that I occasionally flip through.  I feel like I did when I was a little kid flipping through airplane books.  O.K... Maybe I wasn't that little.  Definitely a good book and worth reading through.  Lots of good reading until Marco's book comes out. That one I might camp out all night for.  Peteg

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 01:16:49 PM »
Good book, I agree with the comments posted here.  I have a copy of it if anyone wants it.  Best offer.  I think the lowest price right now is $30 over at Amazon so I would like to get around that for it.  I bought it on half.com a while ago and it is a used library copy with the plastic cover on it (as a lot of these are as they are out of print) and in very good shape. 

PM me if you are interested.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!