Author Topic: Pizza with Bresaola - a few new twists  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Pizza with Bresaola - a few new twists
« on: May 06, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »
The governments of both Milan and Naples may censure me for this combination, but I had just finished making bresaola (cured/air-dried beef) and decided to drape some slices over a pie that had just been baked. For the dough, I tried a couple of new things:

1. The dough was both fermented and proofed in my new Thermokool-138. Bulk fermentation was at 65F for 18 hours (very little rise) and proofing of shaped balls was at 80F 5 hours. Very pleased. Still thinking about what direction to go - perhaps 2-day fermentation at 65F.

2. For reasons I can't recall, I've been shaping 300g dough balls. This batch had 200g dough balls, and I think there was a slight improvement - better over all balance of ingredients.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Pizza with Bresaola - a few new twists
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »
Bill,

That's some pretty good looking beef.  The crust looks good too.

- red.november

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 03:00:06 PM »
Bill,

I rarely make several dough balls at a time so I wondered whether one could just stack the containers one atop the other in the MR-138 unit without a bit of space between the containers. Now I can see that you can. What type and size containers are you using? I have some fairly shallow Rubbermaid containers, and it looks like four of them is the max if they are lidded. If I put a lid on only the top container and rely on nesting the others, I think I can get five containers provided the dough balls don't expand too much.

Peter

Offline shango

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »
Your Bresaola looks absolutely beautiful!

I used to make Bresaola at a pizzeria where I was working.

I would sometimes run a special pizza that was simply a dough topped with fontina and garlic. Then when the pizza came out of the oven it was topped with very thinly sliced house cured bresaola and fresh arugula, a little pinch of salt and extra virgin olive oil.

The people, they love it.

:D

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
red.november: Thank you.

pete-zza: Today I used Ziploc 1.75 cup/14 oz. round disposable plastic containers. I can stack 6 of these in the Thermokool. They are about right for 200g dough balls - maybe a wee-bit tight. For 300g dough balls I use Glad 4 cup/32 oz. containers. I can easily stack 3 of these in the MR-138. The amount the dough will expand is the critical factor. A pin-hole in the lid will prevent gas pressure from building up inside the container.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »
Your Bresaola looks absolutely beautiful!

I used to make Bresaola at a pizzeria where I was working.

I would sometimes run a special pizza that was simply a dough topped with fontina and garlic. Then when the pizza came out of the oven it was topped with very thinly sliced house cured bresaola and fresh arugula, a little pinch of salt and extra virgin olive oil.

The people, they love it.

:D

shango,

Thanks.

That sounds like a great combination, very similar to how I serve bresaola without pizza. A little squeeze of lemon juice gives a nice lift also. I'm definitely going to make your fontina/garlic/arugula/bresaola pie very soon. What kind of fontina do you use? Fontina Val d'Aosta?

Bill/SFNM

Offline shango

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
shango,
 What kind of fontina do you use? Fontina Val d'Aosta?

yes.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 03:46:08 PM »
Bill,

I have made pizza with bresaola before, like when using prosciutto crudo, I make a white pizza and then top it outside the oven with bresaola o prosciutto and some wild rocket (arugula). When using bresaola, I also top the whole thing with few deop of "Aceto Balsamico stravecchio".

Ciao

Offline shango

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »
Bill,

something to think about;  When topping pizze with cured meats, try slicing the meat beforehand and using an overlapping, pizza sized pattern, place the sliced meat on an oiled piece of deli wrap or waxed paper.. Then when the pizza comes out of the oven turn the paper with the meat on it over onto the pizza.  Using one hand pull on the corner of the paper away from the pizza and with the other hand pull the meat onto the top of the pie.  The meat should then cover the pizza perfectly and kind of cook a little as it rests firmly on top of the hot pie.  This also gives the meat, if sliced thinly enough, a nice translucency.

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
Bill,

something to think about;  When topping pizze with cured meats, try slicing the meat beforehand and using an overlapping, pizza sized pattern, place the sliced meat on an oiled piece of deli wrap or waxed paper.. Then when the pizza comes out of the oven turn the paper with the meat on it over onto the pizza.  Using one hand pull on the corner of the paper away from the pizza and with the other hand pull the meat onto the top of the pie.  The meat should then cover the pizza perfectly and kind of cook a little as it rests firmly on top of the hot pie.  This also gives the meat, if sliced thinly enough, a nice translucency.

shango,

I like that idea about having the cured meats on a piece of paper so that they can be applied quickly and neatly. Those moments between removing the pie from the oven and putting it on the table can be the most chaotic (especially if photos are involved  :)). I will definitely try all of the suggestions you all have made here, including marco's use of a little balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice.

Thanks to all. Stay tuned!

Bill/SFNM

Offline aeneas1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 09:07:06 AM »
(http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5098.0;attach=6947;image)

a world-class looking dish; as usual, another absolutely stunning pie bill!

here's a version from nuovo mondo in rome....

(http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/img/0905/bresolapizza.jpg)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:19:51 AM by aeneas1 »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 08:08:41 AM »
I tired out shango's suggestion - it was sensational: fontina and garlic toppings. After removing from the oven, apply bresaola that has been arranged on a piece of wax paper. Top with some arugula and drizzle with a little oil/lemon/pepper dressing. Next time, I'll try marco's suggestion of balsamic vinegar.

Offline shango

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 09:55:17 AM »
Bill,

You could work im my pizzeria if you want.

;D

Looks Great!

-E
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
Bill,
      That looks awesome.  Did you have any problems with the fontina burning or drying out due to the lower moisture content?  I'm going to have to try that tomorrow.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 10:23:34 PM »
Bill,

You could work im my pizzeria if you want.

;D

Looks Great!

-E

Thank you, Shango. That is a real compliment.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 10:27:39 PM »
Bill,
      That looks awesome.  Did you have any problems with the fontina burning or drying out due to the lower moisture content?  I'm going to have to try that tomorrow.

Thank you, Peteg. Absolutely no problem with fontina burning or drying out. It released some excess grease as it melted which I brushed onto the edge of the crust. As noted above, I used Fontina Val d'Aosta which can be very different from other types of fontina. It is a great melting cheese.

Please post photos of your pies, if you can.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 03:47:20 AM »
Bill you and marco are killing me.  The latest pies from both of you are what I want NOW.

I am craving a starter pizza after these pics.

Bill, are these made with the Austrian starter?  I am blown away by the quality of that yeast. The pies I made with it right before this trip to Brooklyn were probably the best that have ever come out of my oven.  Your pies look even better.  I can just taste that fontina and garlic Shango.  It must be amazing.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 07:34:47 AM »

are these made with the Austrian starter?  I am blown away by the quality of that yeast. The pies I made with it right before this trip to Brooklyn were probably the best that have ever come out of my oven. 

Yes, Scott, all of the pizzas and breads I have been making lately have used the Austrian starter.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
Bill & Shango,
                  Thank you to both of you for another great idea.  For this pizza, I used 50/50 spinach and arugula since we had some guests over that may not have cared for 100% arugala.  I feel like thats a flavor that you need to acquire a taste for.  After mixing the spinach and Arugula, I tossed it with a lemon-shallot vinaigrette and topped the pizza.  It got great reviews and I also thought it was delicious.  Oh yeah, topped with Grana Padano and some cracked pepper.  Next time I'll let the pizza cook a little longer so as to get more char but I was concerned about burning the cheese since I'm using regular Fontina.  Definately one I'll make again.  Peteg

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 11:57:11 PM »
Here's another one from tonight.  I'm hooked.