Author Topic: Should I not be keeping my starter in the fridge?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline pnj

Should I not be keeping my starter in the fridge?
« on: May 08, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
and when I add to it, am I supposed to leave it out of the fridge for any length of time?

thanks.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Should I not be keeping my starter in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:09:57 PM »
You'll have decide for yourself what you "should" do and are "supposed to do". Different cultures exhibit different behaviors in different environments.

I keep all of my starters in the refrigerator. Some I use at least once per week, others I use every 2 weeks or so. They stay out of the refrigerator only during activation.

If you are using and feeding a starter frequently, it could stay out on the counter. The reason you put a starter in the refrigerator is to make it dormant so it doesn't need to be fed. However, if it is dormant long enough, it may take multiple feedings to revive. You can leave it dormant too long, so I make sure I feed any unused culture at least every month. YMMV.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pnj

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »
Do I have to take some of the starter out when I feed it?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
I use my starter often enough that I don't throw any away.  Maybe this is incorrect.  I take it out of the fridge and feed it, and wait until it is ready.... risen and very bubbly... usually maybe 6 hours? sometimes less..  I use some, and then put it back in the fridge.  I might feed it, and then put it back in the fridge, and then not feed it before the next use.
Patrick