Author Topic: How much flower are you using per pizza?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline pnj

How much flower are you using per pizza?
« on: May 11, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
I don't and won't own a scale anytime soon....

I use 2 1/2 cups of flour and devide that ball into two pies. My pies measure about 13 or so inches but are VERY thin in the middle(under the cheese). Does this seem normal? I think I may try the same dough batch but make only one pie and see what happens....

thoughts/suggestions?

thanks.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: How much flower are you using per pizza?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »
and see what happens....

Based on a very complex algorithm I devised, my calculations indicate that what will happen is the crumb (crust) will be twice as thick. ;)

- red.november

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:47:23 PM »
pnj,

I'm not sure why you prefaced your question with a statement about not using a scale, but I can only guess that it's because you realize someone is bound to ask you how much your 2.5 cups of flour weighs, and with good reason that they do.  It would be impossible to tell if you're using too much or too little flour based only on volume measurements.  If your method of measuring flour was textbook perfect, your flour would weigh approximately 318.8 g for 2.5 cups of King Arthur bread flour.  That's 29% less flour than I would use for a 13" pizza, but your method of measuring flour could allow for up 400 g.  That's just over 3% more than I would use.  If you indicated how much of the other ingredients you use, it would at least help a little.

Since the thickness of the crust is somewhat subjective anyway, I would suggest incrementally increasing your amount of flour by 0.25 cup with each batch to find the thickness you want.

- red.november

Offline pnj

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
I mentioned the scale becouse everyone seems to use them.....I didn't want an answer of, "I use 33 grams of flour...."

My recipe is

1 1/4 cup liquid (water/beer usually)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of honey
1/4 cup sourdough starter
2 1/4 cups flour

I split that into two balls and make two pies with it.

*I just realized I misspelt 'flour'....:)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:08:56 PM by pnj »

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »
pnj,

You can convert mass measurements to volume measurements if someone gives their answer in grams or ounces.  The fact is, an answer given in grams or ounces is the best kind of answer for this kind of question.  That way there aren't two guessing games going on simultaneously, and we only have to guess what your flour weighs.  Based on the amount of water you are using, I would guess that you are measuring your flour rather heavy.  A textbook measure of flour and water would yield approximately 92.8% hydration which is far too wet.  A more realistic amount of flour would be 469 g, or 3 2/3 (textbook) cups, or 63% hydration.  If this is the case, you have plenty of dough to make two 13" pizzas, and I would look to your dough shaping method as a possible issue.

Do you form a very large rim when you shape your dough?  When you say "13 or so inches," how accurate are you being?  The difference between 13" and 14" is almost 16% in terms of surface area.  That could also be the source of your problem.

- red.november

EDIT: Another problem occurs when trying to determine precisely how much dough you have when you're also using a starter.  I don't know what the hydration of your starter is, but if we ignore that for the sake of the question at hand, you have more than enough dough to shape 13" pizzas.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:18:58 PM by November »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 01:19:01 PM »
pnj,

Now that I see your dough formulation, I assume you are referring to the problem with the dough that you mentioned in your recent post at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5111.msg43401.html#msg43401.

If that's the case, there could be several potential causes of the incomplete baking of the dough in places. For example, if you use too much sauce, the sauce can draw heat away from the dough during baking such that there is insufficient heat at the crust level to gelatinize the starch in the dough. Also, if your sauce is too thin, and especially if it is prone to "watering" out, the water can migrate into the dough and prevent it from baking properly. You will get similar results if you pre-sauce the skin too far in advance of dressing and baking. If you don't let your dough warm up before shaping and dressing, that can also affect the bake and produce a gummy crust. Finally, if your dough doesn't have enough water in it, you can end up with a dense skin that doesn't bake properly, leading to a gummy crust characteristic.

Maybe you can identify with one of the above possible causes.

Peter

Offline pnj

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 02:11:12 PM »
I don't think I'm using too much sauce. I put it on sparingly..

My dough gets thin because I stretch it out. The outter edge is thicker and it gets thinner towards the middle. but I end up with it nearly windowpane thin in some areas. Maybe I should use a rolling pin....? I'd rather not but maybe i'll give it a try once.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 02:29:31 PM »
pnj,

What is sometimes recommended, especially for beginning pizza makers, is to use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to a few inches short of the final desired size and to stretch the dough the rest of the way out by hand. For example, for a 13" pizza, you could roll the dough out to 10" and stretch it the rest of the way out to 13" by hand. I have been meaning to try this method myself, but just haven't gotten around to doing it. With experience you might be able to open up the dough entirely by hand.

Peter

Offline pnj

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »
That's a great suggestion. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

pizzapan