Author Topic: Good Pizza in Newark, Mahwah Area?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline evermore25

• I Love Pizza!
Good Pizza in Newark, Mahwah Area?
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:39:28 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm heading off to New Jersey for a training course next week and thought I might finally have the oppurtunity to try some great Pizza! I live in the Mississippi Delta where the soul food and hot tamales are good but the pizza is non existent. I'll fly into Newark and then spend 4 days in Mahwah. Was hoping someone here might suggest a good place. Thanks in advance.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Good Pizza in Newark, Mahwah Area?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »
What kind of pizza do you like ? Where will you be staying?

A Mano in Ridgewood is on the way from Newark to Mahwah - about 15 miles from Mahwah.  This should be at the top of your list!!!!!

In Ramsey on Frankline Turnpike, you could try Kinchley's (cracker crust) - 5 minutes from any of the hotels in Mahwah.  It is good, but I am not so much of the cracker crust fan.

A personal preference in John's Boy in Glen rock, near Ridgewood.  Just a local NY style joint.
Patrick

Offline evermore25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:48 AM »
Thanks PC,

I will be staying at the Sheraton Crossroads in Mahwah. I'm up for any type of pizza. I've been making a thin cracker style, as that is the only type I felt like I a decent idea of what "good" was. I would definitely love to try the Neapolitan, New York style and the cracker. Will try to hit as many as I can! Thanks again.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:47:29 AM »
Read this post:

Brooklyn's Coal Oven Pizza « on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »

I haven't tried it personally,but the respected opinion of fellow member Scott validates it as  worthy of a visit,and all within easy reach of Mahwah.You may want to visit Hoboken if you have time. Grimaldi's also has a place here (birthplace of Baseball , Sinatra ,and On the Waterfront )
Though I think the town is over run with yuppies and realtors many people swear by the fresh mozzarella made at the Italian Delis ( Fiore's in particular )i n this town.Here's a link to a local review:

http://www.hobokeni.com/pizza_01.asp

Enjoy your visit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 10:05:45 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 03:43:32 AM »
Between A Mano (authentic neapolitan), Brooklyn's Coal oven Pizza or Grimaldi's (NY elite style), and any one of the many standard pizzerias in Northern NJ (NY street style), You will have tried all the regional styles without having to actually venture into NY. 

I think Edgewater might be closer to you than Hoboken.  If that's true I wouldn't worry about getting all the way over to Grimaldi's since Brooklyn's Coal oven Pizza is really just as good.  Here's some info:
http://www.zagat.com/verticals/PropertyDetails.aspx?VID=8&R=42333

Near Brooklyn's is a great NY street style pizzeria. If the right guy is working the day you go it will be made by a master of the style, but it is always above average regardless of the pizzamaker :
LYNNWOOD PIZZA
140 LINWOOD PLZ
FORT LEE, NJ
07024-3701

I don't think the cracker style is really very prevalent in this area. That's more of a Chicago/midwestern thing.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
Brooklyn's is also in Ridgewood, which is minutes from Mahwah.  This outpost is BYOB.  I used to love the place but lately i've been thinking it's really underseaoned.  if you have a salty topping you're in better shape.

In addition to Kinchley's, there is also Nellie's in Waldwick.  Same style of pizza.  A bigger bar and more comfortable place in some respects (doesn't get as crowded for one, and, they accept credit cards unlike Kinchley's).

To echo the thoughts of others, between A Mano, Brooklyn's, and Kinchleys/Nellies, you're hitting some great and different spots.

Offline evermore25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:47:53 PM »
 ;D

WOW!

Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions!! This trip should go a long way in helping me to further my pizza making abilities..........and of course my job skills. There's nothing like having a standard to compare too. Even in my job as a microbiologist your results are only as good as your standard. I'll have to sit down and plan my time around some of these pizzeria's. Lunch is covered during the course but dinner is wide open, so I'll be catching most of these places at dinner. Thanks for the credit card info as I will be using one for the majority of my expenses. Thanks again guys for all your help. I will report back when I return.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
From Mahwah as a visitor I would avoid Hoboken Fort lee and Edgewater but that is just me.    Driving to them is generally an unpleasant and possibly confusing experience  ;D  If you have plenty of time on your hands go for it.  Otherwise I would stick to Waldwick Ramsey Ridgewood Glen Rock etc.  These will all be easy 15 minute drives vs ???

Where do you NJ guys live - I am in Hawthorne for now.
Patrick

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 05:37:54 PM »
To get better than pedestrian Pizza usually  involves some effort.Travelling from one state to another is not unheard of . let alone crossing County lines(o.k.Some of us even travel to other countries in pursuit of pleasure ;) so I wouldn't dicourage a little sidetrack to a tourist.Just read some of PFTs posts !
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 03:40:32 AM »
I hit A Mano in ridgewood tonight.  Just go there, really really good pizza made by a super nice guy.  Right now he has visiting a master pizzaiolo from naples that is the fastest pizza maker I have ever seen.  You need to experience this place.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »
What sort of work  do you do with microbiology?  Does your company have any openings for a smart biology major (my wife) with some good lab experience ?  ;D
Patrick

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 03:23:12 PM »
From Mahwah as a visitor I would avoid Hoboken Fort lee and Edgewater but that is just me. 

Hey, there were/are some really stellar resturants in these towns!

Jack
2001-Now: Seattle
88-2001:  Hillsdale, NJ
Pre 88 - a lot of the east coast

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 12:54:55 PM »
There is good pizza in those areas no doubt, but put it this way: I live here and I would never drive to those places at rush hour, so I certainly wouldn't send a visitor.  I don't know evermore's working conditions but guessing he is doing some sort of corporate world training, conferences, etc. 9-5 or 9-6 is pretty typical.

Linwood Pizza - I actually don't like this place just my opinion.  I worked around the corner at the Mack Cali building 2115 Linwood Ave and ate there quite often (several times a week) and never found it to be anything amazing but it was the only pizza place within close walking distance.

tommy also mentioned "Brooklyn Pizza" in Ridgewood - supposed to be Grimaldi related - cash only here.  Pretty good but the crust I find to a little "tough." I like their pepporoni or sausage (there's your salty topping!).

Either way - Enjoy!!!!  :chef: You could have pizza everyday for dinner at a different place for sure but you might find yourself going to A Mano every night  :pizza: :pizza:

EDIT Now that I think about it... he's probably been here all week.  Can't wait to hear back to see where he ended up going!
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
patrick, what did you like better than linwood in the area?  I stay a block from the pizzeria when I am in town, but I have a car and can travel around fort lee.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 06:37:57 AM »
Sorry I don't actually know.  Maybe things have changed.  It was 2001 when I used to go there often and that was the only place I'd ever been to in the area.
Patrick

Offline evermore25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 11:44:06 PM »
Back from Mahwah,

Having some computer issues this evening I will report back on Tuesday.  Later....

Offline evermore25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 10:07:52 PM »
Finally got all my computer issues straight last night. My trip from the airport to Mahwah, which should have taken about 1 hour or so, turned into a 3 hour tour of Interstate 17 and the surrounding countryside. Took me a while to figure out the whole U-turn thing. So by the time I got to the hotel I had had enough of New Jersey Traffic for a while. By Tuesday evening I had gotten my nerve back enough to venture out again in search of Kinchley's, which was also recommended by a member of the team presenting the training. Long story short, couldn't locate Kinchleys so I ate at a place called LaGondala pretty much across the interstate from Kinchleys. LaGondala had been recommended by the same guy as a close place which had a New York Style Pizza. Needless to say I was immediately impressed by the huge selection of Pizza by the Slice available. I got a slice of cheese, white, and Old World. They placed the slices on foil and then into the oven to warm. The cheese slice was first and the best because it was crisp from the oven warm. All the other slices were also good but had gone limp by the time I got to them. The flavors were very nice, sauce and cheese and crust all very flavorful. So nice to have a pizza made with some flavor.

On Wed. I had figured out that Kinchleys was just a little further down the road from where I gave up on Tues. The place was packed including the bar, so I ordered  a large cheese and small black olive to go. I got close enough to the bar to order a Sam Adams, another luxury not readily available in my neck of the woods, which I slowly drank while I waited on my pies. Got the pizzas and went immediately to the car where I opened both boxes and began to eat while they were still crisp and hot. Delicious!! ;D Just as I had hoped/imagined a good cracker crust pizza would have tasted. I think I was also happy because with the right cheese and little fine tune of the sauce my home version isn't to far off the mark. Ate every last bite of both pies with a smile on my face! Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I wish I had the nerve to have ventured to some of the more legendary sites, but maybe next time. I got what I needed out of my visit to Kinchleys, a wonderful meal and validation that I was heading in the right direction.

PC, as far as the Micro thing goes. I'm working for the USDA at the National Biological Control Lab. Very interesting work, and great work environment. I was in industry for about 13 years and just got tired of all the regulations etc. Wanted back into research. No positions opened at this time, that I am aware of, however if you monitor the USDA web site they post all openings. If you're not from this area, it can be tough to acclimate, but at least you would have one pizza nut in the area.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »
evermore, you would have done well to ask for good directions from newark to mahwah along with the pizza recs!  i bet we could have gotten you there without dealing with 17, which can be one of the most maddening highways in the state.

glad you enjoyed kinchley's.