Author Topic: UPS delivery / Cheese melted?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Karen C.

• I Love Pizza!
UPS delivery / Cheese melted?
« on: May 10, 2007, 06:12:29 PM »
I ordered a block of Grande Mozzarella from Pennsylvania Macaroni Company on Tuesday.  It just arrived via UPS.  I opened the box as soon as the UPS man delivered it.

The box contained two dry ice blocks, both of which had evidently long since melted.  They and the cheese were only slightly cool to touch.  However, the cheese appears to be pretty mushy for at least a good inch or so, all around.

What I'm wondering is should I return the block and ask for a replacement, or will the cheese still be good?  I'm just concerned that the heat will affect the taste of the cheese.

Is this usually a problem in the summer season?  I've ordered two blocks from Pennsylvania Macaroni in the past few months, and I've been happy with the other two blocks.  However, the temperature outside wasn't as hot as it has been the past couple of days (80 to 85 degrees).

Thanks!

Karen C.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Re: UPS delivery / Cheese melted?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:21:27 AM »
Karen,

You need to find out if the actual shipping time was close to the anticipated shipping time.  If the package was significantly overdue, contact UPS.  If it arrived at or near the anticipated ship time, call the vendor.  The ice should have been intact when you received the product.

Jack

Offline Karen C.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
You need to find out if the actual shipping time was close to the anticipated shipping time.  If the package was significantly overdue, contact UPS.  If it arrived at or near the anticipated ship time, call the vendor.  The ice should have been intact when you received the product.

Jack:  Thanks for your feedback.  The delivery only took two days, and it wasn't late.  I called Pennsylvania Macaroni and was told that the wrong ice was placed in the container (not dry ice but a regular ice packet).  The customer service lady was very apologetic and told me she'd ship another block out to me on Monday and that she'd make sure this one contained dry ice.

I stuck a thermometer in the cheese before I stuck it in the refrigerator yesterday, and the middle was about 54 degrees.  She told me that, if I wanted to, I could cut off the "mushy" part of the cheese and use the inside part, but I'm leery of doing that.

I will be sure to specifically request that all future orders be packed with dry ice.  Thanks, again, for your feedback.

Karen C.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:27:39 AM »
Glad it was easy to resolve.  I think I agree with the salesperson, that the cheese should be fine to eat; at least the unaffected part.  The problem is that you have no sure way of knowing what happened to it between Point A and Point B. 

Jack

Offline Karen C.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »
Glad it was easy to resolve.  I think I agree with the salesperson, that the cheese should be fine to eat; at least the unaffected part.  The problem is that you have no sure way of knowing what happened to it between Point A and Point B. 

Yeah, that's what's scary about it.  For all I know, it could have been completely melted and then thrown in a cooler spot before I ever got it, since it went through at least four stops and as many trucks.  I sure don't want to take the chance of getting sick from eating it, though. 

Thanks, again, for your feedback.  I appreciate it.

Karen C.