Author Topic: breadbuilders style oven vs dedicated round dome pizza ovens  (Read 1973 times)

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

Just what it says - bread ovens may not be perfect for baking pizza, however I am not
that that last 5% of pizza makers who cares about tradition etc. If I can produce a 95%
high hydration wood oven baked margherita style pizza I will be happy.

I got the pizza bug bad and have spread it to my family members - we are considering a
wood oven at our country home. I would prefer not to spend 3-5K for a pre-fab kit and
would find the homegrown approach more satisfying yet having read many posts and info
some people seem be believe that a nonround oven is less than ideal for some types of
baking (pizza)

I haven't heard anyone on this board complain about their ovens only that they wish they
were larger - can anyone share some performance opinions and state whether or not your
oven is pre-fabbed or home built from bricks.

Thanks >:D

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
Re: breadbuilders style oven vs dedicated round dome pizza ovens
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »
My oven is pre-fabbed, at least the interior. I built the shell around it.  I am very happy with it, though as I retirement gift to myself, I never calculated the cost. If I had to do it over, I would go for the next bigger size.

bakerbill

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »
I had a "pizza" oven built pretty much according to the specs of the Pompeii oven on the Forno Bravo site.  It make great pizza, then it can accommodate a cast iron Tuscan grill  over the embers & when I am done grilling I sweep it out & bake top quality brick oven bread.  IMHO the "way to go."
Trosenberg

Offline edj9

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:25:06 PM »
bakerbill

How big is your oven now, and how big is the next size up that you mention?

Ed