Author Topic: Pizza Recommendations in San Diego?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline sanchez

Pizza Recommendations in San Diego?
« on: May 17, 2007, 07:06:02 AM »
Will be in San Diego next month on Business and I'm looking for some Pizza Recommendations.  This will be my 4th trip to San Diego and I've only eaten pizza there once.  A place in the gaslamp called Sammy's Woodfired Pizza.  Pretty good pie but I'm looking for the best San Diego has to offer.  I would assume there would be some good pizzaria's in Little Italy.  I've heard that Filippi's Pizza Grotto is pretty good but other than that I've not heard fo anything else.

Pony up San Diegians and tell me where to eat :)

Offline sanchez

Re: Pizza Recommendations in San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:32:27 AM »
There has got to be someone from San Diego here that can shed some light on the best pizza joints.  I know there is more to San Diego than Fish Taco's.  :-D

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »
This is not an unqualified endorsement, but Bronx pizza in San Diego (you'll have to find the location -- I was only there once and I don't know the city) is very popular and makes a pretty tasty thin crust pie.  It's not true NY in my opinion because there's almost no lip on the crust, but the slices fold right, the grease drips right, and they take pride in their product.  That's all I got.

-- GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
sanchez,

Maybe this will be of some help: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/87509?query=san%20diego%20pizza.

Peter

Offline aptfive

• www.aptfive.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 08:30:19 PM »
Bronx Pizza in the Hillcrest section of San Diego ..i'm a north jersey pizza guy ..its good stuff ..a great lil pizza shop ..for san diego =)

Offline sanchez

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:21:02 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  Hillcrest is a little out of my way so I don't really expect to be up in that neighborhood but if I am I'll certainly check it out.  Sounds great.  City Pizzeria looks like it would be the easiest for me to check out considering I'll be staying downtown. 

Thanks for the review link Pete.  I'll take that websites advice if I have to but I'd rather take the advice of the Pizzamaking forum users.  :)  They havne't done me wrong yet.  lol

Offline sanchez

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 07:49:15 AM »
Well i just got back from a week in San Diego and regretibly was not able to stop at either Bronx Pizza or City Pizzaria. :(  Maybe next year.  I did manage to eat pizza 3 times in a one week period which is not good for my wasteline but good for my pizza craving.  First pie of the week came in the gaslamp from Sammy's Woodfired which I've had in previous years.  Good solid pizza and their spicy italian sausage pie was very good.  Their pies are small but admittedly tasty.  Second pie was also in the gaslamp at the Rockbottom Brew Pub.  It's a national chain and they have a woodfired oven.  I bought a foo-foo Chapotle Chicken pizza pie.  It was suprisingly good for such a non-traditional pizza. 

The best pizza of the week was during one of my few departures from the downtown area on a trip to Ocean Beach.  This little dive pizza shop on Newport named Newport Pizza and Ale.  21 beers on tap and their motto was "No crap on tap" so that meant no budweiser, No Coors Light, etc.  A very good thing indeed.  I tried several regional brews that I can't get here on the east coast and their pizza was very good.  NY style large slices and very tasty.  They also sold pizza by the slice.  A very pleasant surprise and definately recommended for those of you looking for a good NY slice near the beach.

Offline jeancarlo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
I live in San Diego and have tried Bronx pizza. It's ok but I prefer Fiori's Pizza. It's a few blocks west from Bronx pizza and Fiori's actually a Liquor store and they have dine in, take out and delivery in the area. I haven't tried Luigi's pizza yet. At Fiori's I get a one topping carry out pizza for $7.99 plus tax so it's a nice deal. I'll take a picture next time and post it here for you.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
Did we really need to revive a thread that has been dead for 5.5 years?
Pizza is not bread.